FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transporting a DeLorean long distances

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Transporting a DeLorean long distances

I was seeking the advice of anyone online here who might have experience transporting a DMC-12 a considerable distance - like 1000+ miles.
    Would it be best to hire a OTR trucking company or independent driver to haul the vehicle on a flatbed trailer (with a cover over the car, of course)?
    Or would I be better off putting the car in the back of a U-Haul and making the journey myself, or with a friend?
    I'm just curious on the most cost-effective way to move a car from Chicago to Seattle. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    I was seeking the advice of anyone online here who might have experience transporting a DMC-12 a considerable distance - like 1000+ miles.
    Would it be best to hire a OTR trucking company or independent driver to haul the vehicle on a flatbed trailer (with a cover over the car, of course)?
    Or would I be better off putting the car in the back of a U-Haul and making the journey myself, or with a friend?
    I'm just curious on the most cost-effective way to move a car from Chicago to Seattle. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!
    I had the opportunity to ship two Deloreans to different destinations last year. One car went to DPI in Ohio and the other to PA. This is another 'you get what pay for' deals. The Ohio car went in an enclosed trailer 1000 miles and cost $1025.00. The PA car was hauled on an open trailer also 1000 miles and cost $550.00. I would have put the PA car in an enclosed trailer but couldn't get one in the time frame I wanted. Both cars arrived without issue but I worried about the PA car. A Delorean on an open trailer attracts a lot of attention.

If you call one of the carriers be prepared to be inundated with offers from other truckers. There is a clearing house of some sort that all the carriers subscribe to I think.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    891, 1045

I would say DO NOT put a cover on the car for shipping. The cover will flap and bang the crap out of the body, basically polishing that spot. You don't drive a car with a cover on it, so only 1000 miles cross country should be nothing for a car. I just transported a DeLorean about 2800 miles cross country with an open car hauler and it arrived dirty, but after a bath it was fine.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

I paid $1050 for the 2800 mile tow via uShip. The carrier was insured and I had great coverage of my own on the DeLorean so I wasn't concerned at all. Any damage in transit would have been covered, of which there was none.

-edit- This shipment was in January 2013.
    Last edited by eagle-co94; 04-14-2013 at 04:20 PM.

My VIN:    3299

I paid about $800 to get my car from Monroeville, AL to Dayton, OH - 617 miles - enclosed trailer - June 2012. I have the company's info at home if you need it.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I generally recommend Passport Transport Co. Always enclosed and typically the other cars on the truck are worth as much or more than the DeLorean. No affilation, just we've used them a lot and never had an issue.

The biggest problem with brokers/U-ship is that you never know who the carrier is going to be. Sometimes they are pros with an empty space on the truck, sometimes they are idiots trying to get into the trucking business. You'll get very mixed reviews because of this.

Even in a closed carrier the car may get a bit dusty on the trip, but you won't have to worry about rocks and vandalism.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I'll chime in on this.

I needed to ship 6599 to DMC Florida for warranty work and some upgrades a few weeks ago.
    I did some searches on the inter-webs for transport companies but, ended up asking Tony @ DMC F who they used, And Trusted when they shipped their cars.

I ended up paying $875 for a bit over a 700 mile trip and was Very Happy with the enclosed trailer, driver and the Company that it went there in.
    I wouldn't even Consider an Open trailer for my car.

(Of course once my car is ready, I have to pay that again to get it back to me)...

I'd recommend an Enclosed trailer and, a carrier that has their own trucks and drivers. Stay away from brokers! (If you value/love your car).

George

EDIT: Call a local DMC dealer/vender to you now, or a vender close to where you want the car moved to. See who they recommend for transporting.
    Just saw Daves post.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 04-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

I would only choose an enclosed carrier if the car is an investment and not driven. It would have more likelihood of being damaged while being driven then being hauled. Having said that, it's a car, and it's meant to be driven.

I had mine hauled on an open transport, and I got lucky with it. It came out very dirty (but washed up fine), strange plant life in various locations, thank god it never rained on the trip since the window was stuck down and the cover the PO put on it had torn off somewhere along the way. I'm definitely going enclosed from now on.

One thing to consider about open transports: the car carriers are quite a bit taller than semi trucks. We get semis down our street all the time, and never have a problem. But when the open transport backed up into our street, he got about 100 feet before a phone line caught on the back of an SUV and he couldn't go any further. The guy was Russian, so while he spoke English, the language barrier proved difficult, and I just ended up backing it off and coasting it downhill (didn't run at the time). Here's a picture I took:

It's the white one level with the sideview mirrors. Thank god the PO had removed the fender antenna and laid it across the hood, or it would've snapped right off (it's a stiff mast). After I backed it off, my Dad had to hold up a fiberglass pole to raise the cable enough so the guy could leave. Apparently they keep one handy for that exact reason. An enclosed transport would not have had the same issue.
    Attached Images

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    An enclosed transport would not have had the same issue.
    Actually it might have, but it would only damage the truck and/or your cable TV wiring. . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast