FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best way to clean bugs from front bumper?

My VIN:    5725

Whats the best way to clean bugs from front bumper?

Took the D on a 300 mile criuse the other day, needless to say the front bumper/grille was blasted with bugs. I used bug/tar remover to clean off bugs but it seems the bug juices seeped into the urethane. What is the best was to remove this bug remnants, they are pretty stubborn.
    Glen

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Hot water mixed with car wash soap. Also good to remove tree sap. Look over at Griot's Garage for cleaning supplies.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16619

Windex will work well on fairly fresh bugs.

Though I would recommend this stuff the most, http://www.automagicestore.com/51-red-hot.html Stuff works absolute wonders. Used it quite a bit when I worked in detailing, mixed it 1:5 with water, spray it on, wait few mins and wash it off. Not much scrubbing is needed, works great for dirty engines too.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    Windex will work well on fairly fresh bugs.
    Dont use Windex on the unpainted black portions of the fascia and airdam! It'll tint the urethane blue.

A good coat of car wax is good at allowing bugs to wipe off. Unsure how the wax would look on the unpainted portions though.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    5725

Thanks Guys for the advice, just to clarify, the fresh bugs are off, what is left seems to be stains that have set in from their remains, just a booger to get out.
    Dave T it looks like your coming to York this weekend I look foward to meeting you.
    Glen

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

As stated, wax makes the job of washing your car so much easier on painted surfaces. The water just beads off and bugs have a hard time sticking. In preparation to waxing I use a claybar to remove any surface contaminants. If you don't want to bother waxing, I have found good success using Spray nine. Spray this on before you wash, let it sit for ten minutes and spray the area off, the bugs will all come off. Although it wont harm or discolor the paint it will strip any wax off the surface.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
    As stated, wax makes the job of washing your car so much easier on painted surfaces. The water just beads off and bugs have a hard time sticking. In preparation to waxing I use a claybar to remove any surface contaminants. If you don't want to bother waxing, I have found good success using Spray nine. Spray this on before you wash, let it sit for ten minutes and spray the area off, the bugs will all come off. Although it wont harm or discolor the paint it will strip any wax off the surface.
    What happens when you wax the unfinished urethane portions? I assume they get shiny?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Believe it or not, a detailers trick....panty hose. It is aggressive enough to easily remove cooked on bugs, but gentle enough it won't damage paint. Been using them for years to clean stubborn bumpers and hoods. Makes clean up really easy.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    Believe it or not, a detailers trick....panty hose. It is aggressive enough to easily remove cooked on bugs, but gentle enough it won't damage paint. Been using them for years to clean stubborn bumpers and hoods. Makes clean up really easy.
    He gave me this trick at the last tech day and I can vouch for its effectiveness.
    - Chris

what

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Just use some car soap with water and a large softish brush. If you want to avoid getting the car wet, use a foaming bug remover and a brush.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast