FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: (Yet another) Review of Car Sales

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

(Yet another) Review of Car Sales

I have been amazed at the number of cars on Chris’ DeLoreansForSale page so I decided to track them for the first quarter of 2013. Were there really that many of these “rare” cars being offered for sale? Here is what I found:

There were 61 cars listed for sale in US and Canada in 1Q13 (from Chris’s site as well as other sources), 27 on ebay, 22 on craigslist and 4 others. This does not include those cars currently in inventory at the various DMC franchises (at least a further 20 cars). These were cars that were freshly advertised and may not include cars that were listed in 2012 but did not sell. To the best of my ability I looked at the craigslist cars and removed any that had a corresponding ebay ad, so I am fairly confident that these are 61 different cars.

There were 7 cars in January, 25 in Feb and 29 in March

Average miles, for those cars that listed a mileage, was 29411

Average Asking Price (when stated) was $24,000 and Average Sales Price, where known, was $20,470

So that’s quite a collection of cars for a prospective buyer to choose from, maybe 20 or 30 from private buyers available at any one time.

In addition, there were a few cars ( available internationally (UK, Europe, Australia). Interestingly, while their advertised mileage was broadly similar, at 30465, their Average Asking Price is considerably higher at $38,875 (converted from local currency). The only one that I could find sales info on, had sold for the equivalent of $39,700.

No, I won’t be repeating this exercise as it was way too much work. I’ll leave that up to Ozzie and that other recently posted website
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    .....No, I won’t be repeating this exercise as it was way too much work. I’ll leave that up to Ozzie and that other recently posted website
    lol.
    I was surprised how many cars sold in Q1 as well. I am way tardy on my blog's sales updates, but I'll probably stop after one more update, as there are at least two other sites that track this same data.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

As I wasn't in the market for very long, basically only the time you complied stats for, I don't know if this is high or low. One of the (serious) questions people ask me most as a new owner is "where did you find one?!". I've been telling them (perhaps wrongly) that if you're REALLY in the market for one, they aren't hard to find. Maybe instead I should be telling them, I just happen to be in the market at the right time?
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood