FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DeLorean Roadster Convertible - Sketch to Stainless (photos)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

DeLorean Roadster Convertible - Sketch to Stainless (photos)

As with many DeLorean owners and enthusiasts, I saw my first Concept image
    of a DeLorean Convertible back in the Winter of 1987, as a drawing on the cover
    of DeLorean World. The sketches were done by a Chicago area cover artist
    Theodore C. Alexander, Jr. for Dick Shipman of the DOA and DeLorean World.

After seeing this idea, I had sketched several of my own versions over the next
    few years (especially while I was supposed to be taking "notes" in College), but
    the next time I was inspired to make another sketch was after meeting JZD in
    person, at DCS 2000, at the same time I sketched the DeLorean Limousine.

After starting on the DeLorean Limo frame in 2001, there was an Open House at
    DMC Houston where I saw another DeLorean Convertible sketch that was "found"
    at the warehouse in Columbus, which was raffled off later at that event. I did
    not win the raffle for this item, but I did take a photo of the framed sketch.

After acquiring a few fire damaged DeLoreans in 2001 and 2002, including a donor
    car with roof damage, it was time to try to make the D Convertible into a reality.

My D Convertible is still a Work-In-Progress, and of course, it remains a Roadster
    until an actual convertible hard top or retracting soft top is fully installed.

Then, a few years ago, I came across an original DMCL Concept image, and now I
    am re-imagining my D Convertible closer to the original DMC commissioned concept.

A few of the inspirational drawings, sketches and photos attached below.

DW-Winter-87.jpg

dmc-conv-sketch.jpg

RW-conv-line-draw.JPG

Concept-DeLorean-Convertible.JPG

Later,
    Rich W.
    Last edited by Rich W; 07-05-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Fixed type-o