FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: DeLorean Roadster Convertible - Sketch to Stainless (photos)

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The "some men just want to watch the world burn" meme originated from The Dark Knight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc
    Although I am familiar with the origin of this meme,
    I was referencing the irony of using the term "burn"
    with a project that used parts from two burned cars.

Just for the record, I do not plan to burn down the jungle.

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Although I am familiar with the origin of this meme,
    I was referencing the irony of using the term "burn"
    with a project that used parts from two burned cars.

Just for the record, I do not plan to burn down the jungle.
    Rich, did you see the rims I posted?

-Ryan
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Rich, did you see the rims I posted?

-Ryan
    Hi Ryan,

Yes, I did see the photo (kind of) on my iPhone. I was hoping to get a better look
    at the photo on my work computer, but that will not happen until next Monday.

It does appear the rims are very similar to the ones I have, posted on Page 1 of
    this thread (IIRC), but the center caps look a little out of place for a good match,
    similar to the way my gold mesh BBS style wheels looked when I got them too.
    I could not see the rear wheel too well on the iPhone, but the set looks very similar.

Thanks,
    Rich W.

DeLorean Roadster with Stock Wheels (indoor photo)

In preparation for a Special Guest viewing the DeLorean Roadster this weekend, I decided to re-install a set of stock DeLorean wheels last weekend.

Unfortunately, it rained last weekend too, so I did not take any outdoor photos, but one indoor photo that I took (below) turned out pretty well.

DMC-Roadster-stock-wheels-indoors.jpg

If all goes as planned (no rain, etc.), I will post more details and photos sometime next week, regarding this weekend's event.

Later,
    Rich W.

A Red Letter Day for the DeLorean Roadster Convertible

Sunday, August 4, 2013 -- 10:04am

Rich W. meets with Glenn W. Abbott, the design artist responsible for drawing the Cars & Concepts, DeLorean Convertible sketch.

Glenn-Abbott-D-Roadster.JPG

Glenn-Rich-D-Roadster.jpg

Glenn worked for Cars & Concepts, Inc. between 1977 and 1983, and during that time, Glenn worked closely with the mechanical
    and design engineers at C&C, developing design concepts for many makes and models, including T-Top and Convertible versions
    of several GM cars, the Fox-based Ford Mustang Convertible and a few Chrysler Convertibles. After C&C, Glenn went to AMC and
    stayed with the company as it was purchased by Chrysler, and he has remained at Chrysler, weathering mutliple management
    changes and the multiple "re-births" of Chrysler. 30 years later, Glenn is still with Chrysler and he stopped by my place during his
    annual August vacation, which includes a stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week and the Pebble Beach Concours.
    While Glenn only worked briefly with DeLoreans, he is a true gear-head, pulling up to my place in a New Silver Hemi car.

More details to follow.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 -- 10:04am

Rich W. meets with Glenn W. Abbott, the design artist responsible for drawing the Cars & Concepts, DeLorean Convertible sketch.

Glenn-Abbott-D-Roadster.JPG

Glenn-Rich-D-Roadster.jpg

Glenn worked for Cars & Concepts, Inc. between 1977 and 1983, and during that time, Glenn worked closely with the mechanical
    and design engineers at C&C, developing design concepts for many makes and models, including T-Top and Convertible versions
    of several GM cars, the Fox-based Ford Mustang Convertible and a few Chrysler Convertibles. After C&C, Glenn went to AMC and
    stayed with the company as it was purchased by Chrysler, and he has remained at Chrysler, weathering mutliple management
    changes and the multiple "re-births" of Chrysler. 30 years later, Glenn is still with Chrysler and he stopped by my place during his
    annual August vacation, which includes a stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week and the Pebble Beach Concours.
    While Glenn only worked briefly with DeLoreans, he is a true gear-head, pulling up to my place in a New Silver Hemi car.

More details to follow.

Awesome!!!! Was he able to give more insight in regards to the sketches?

BIO- Glenn W. Abbott, Automotive Design Artist, Cars & Concepts, 1977-1983

C&C-GWA-DMC-Convertible.jpg

Glenn W. Abbott, Automotive Design Artist (now Senior Designer at Chrysler LLC)

and design engineers at C&C, developing design concepts for many makes and models, including T-Tops and Convertible versions
    of several GM cars, the Fox-based Ford Mustang Convertible and a few Chrysler Convertibles. During his tenure at C&C, concepts
    such as the Buick Grand National were developed in-house and went on to become the few American Muscle Cars of the 1980's.

Glenn recalls working on several DeLorean project sketches, although the actual total number escapes him, since his job was to
    generate 1 to 2 concept sketches per day (or 5 to 10 per week) and unfortunately, Glenn never kept any drafts or sketches.
    Glenn did keep in contact with Dave Draper, C&C's VP of Product Development (and later C&C President) and after a call to Dave,
    there was still no conclusive number of DMC sketches and proposals, so we will have to wait and see if more surface in the future.

The wheels shown in the DeLorean Convertible sketch were based on a French wheel design that C&C used quite frequently, since
    C&C had on-going business dealings with the French wheel manufacturer, so the basis of their use was more practical than artistic.
    The rear deck, rear wing and the convertible top base plate (top boot) were to be manufactured in fiberglass and painted to match
    the rear fascia, however, there were also thoughts of painting the entire car Silver, so all the parts would match throughout.
    Glenn did not recall if this version of DeLorean Convertible sketch was meant to be completely painted or not, since an on-going
    C&C project at the time was to find or develop a cost effective and high quality method of painting stainless steel panels.

The primary DeLorean project that C&C was tasked with (along with a few other competing specialty design shops), was to find or
    develop a cost effective and high quality method of painting stainless steel panels, that DMC dealers could provide to customers.
    As the story goes, there were many potential DeLorean customers who were "put off" by the bare stainless panels, but otherwise
    loved the cars, so some DMC dealers were asking for a "factory authorized" method of painting a DeLorean. C&C went around and
    around with many paint companies and chemical companies, trying to develop a dealer solution, but this project was abandonned
    after the DMC factory was shut down for the first time, in early 1982. The puzzle of painting stainless was left unsolved.

Beyond concept cars and specialty aftermarket packages, Glenn wanted to work on production vehicles, for an actual car company.
    In 1983, Glenn went to AMC and then stayed with the company, as it was purchased by Chrysler, then Daimler, weathering mutliple
    management changes, bankruptcy, Chapter 11 and multiple "re-births" of the company. 30 years later, Glenn is still with Chrysler.
    Glenn is currently designing Interiors for Chrysler vehicles, with his latest emphasis and focus on Seat Designs.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Rich W; 08-08-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed a few type-o's

Finally, back outdoors

I had part of my collection displayed outside this weekend, for a few photo shoots during a few interviews,
    so I thought it was a good time to take a few photos as well, to update a few of the threads on DMCTalk.

This was a great opportunity to finally take an outdoor photo of the DeLorean Roadster since I had done a
    little more work on it, just prior to Glenn Abbott's visit in early August. Of couse, it was raining on/off too.

D-Roadster-outside.jpg

I had part of my collection displayed outside this weekend, for a few photo shoots during a few interviews,
    so I thought it was a good time to take a few photos as well, to update a few of the threads on DMCTalk.

This was a great opportunity to finally take an outdoor photo of the DeLorean Roadster since I had done a
    little more work on it, just prior to Glenn Abbott's visit in early August. Of couse, it was raining on/off too.

D-Roadster-outside.jpg
    Been awhile, any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Been awhile, any updates?
    Additional (final?) door hinge work (fit, modify, test, re-test) being done on the "test mule" underbody
    that I acquired with the Marty Maier convertible car project, purchased from Marty a few years ago.

I am hoping to finalize all the fabricated hinge mounts, so the install procedure can be transferred
    to the current Roadster v2.0 project car, either later this Fall or early Winter, weather permitting.

Unfortunately, I have been side-lined by a severe sprained foot and major project deadlines at work,
    so I am hobbling around on crutches at work this weekend (and probably through the end of Oct.).

Maybe some progress photos to post by next month, if all goes well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6