FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: LED door and side marker lights

My VIN:    6125

I'm interested in a set of the door lights. I have some older LED's currently installed and I don't like the small dot of light they produce in the center of the lens. These look much better!

How much clearance is there behind the stock lens and the new LED's? I'd be interested in trying to install a thin layer of diffusing plexi behind it to get even better uniform lighting while still having the stock appearance when not lit.

My VIN:    03572

I did custom door LEDs 6 years ago. Maybe you can get some ideas to try looking at what I did. The LEDs available now are so much better.

Try flipping your stock lens over (smooth side in).
    Paint the black rubber inside the holder silver.

I removed the socket so I could place the circuit board as far from the lens as possible. But yours is a plug and play unit which most people like. Also if you rotate your board, you get what looks like more dots.

I also made LEDs for the rear tail lights installing three circuit boards.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    For a more diffused effect I mention replacement lenses on my site. With the replacement lens you don't have the # effect. The lens I have right now gives pretty good results but it's not 100% uniform. I will do some more tests with different materials for the lens. Here's what I have now:
    Attachment 18503Attachment 18504

I will experiment with the side markers as well.
    Looks great to me! Count me in

The door lights I actually really like being white when off too. Blends in well with the stainless if you have them turned off while the doors are open.

How can I keep everyone happy
    How about offering two styles for the buyer to choose from: one diffuse, and one like the first ones you posted?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm interested in a set of the door lights. I have some older LED's currently installed and I don't like the small dot of light they produce in the center of the lens. These look much better!

How much clearance is there behind the stock lens and the new LED's? I'd be interested in trying to install a thin layer of diffusing plexi behind it to get even better uniform lighting while still having the stock appearance when not lit.
    Mark, that is exactly what I wanted to avoid - small dim point of light in the middle of the lens. That is why I decided to go with a custom circuit board.
    There is about 10mm (sorry, the metric system is so much better ) from the top if the LED to the bottom of the lens. There is plenty enough space to install some kind of diffuser.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I did custom door LEDs 6 years ago. Maybe you can get some ideas to try looking at what I did. The LEDs available now are so much better.

Try flipping your stock lens over (smooth side in).
    Paint the black rubber inside the holder silver.

I removed the socket so I could place the circuit board as far from the lens as possible. But yours is a plug and play unit which most people like. Also if you rotate your board, you get what looks like more dots.
    6 years in LED development is ages! It seems that they come out with new, brighter, better LEDs every few days. One of my suppliers here in Poland has a white LED with output about 10% brighter than D2S HID burner. Amazing!
    I don't like the idea of flipping the lens around. It would be a dirt catcher
    Painting the inside of the light is a good idea but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement. The circuit board covers the entire bottom surface so the only improvement would be on the sides of the light.
    I prefer the plug-and-play approach for ease of installation and ease of returning the car to stock condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Looks great to me! Count me in

The door lights I actually really like being white when off too. Blends in well with the stainless if you have them turned off while the doors are open.

How about offering two styles for the buyer to choose from: one diffuse, and one like the first ones you posted?
    Yeah, but why would you have them turned off? If one light needs only 0.67 watts and all six lights will use only 4 watts there is no need to turn them off. Remember that one W5W bulb uses 5 watts! This means that all six LED lights in both doors would use less power than just ONE bulb. Leave them on!
    The first one that I've posted was with OEM lens. I will offer the boards only and diffused lenses as a separate part. You either get the boards and use stock lens or order the boards and diffused lenses.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Production start

Hello everyone,

I apologize for posting a reply to my own post but I feel that this should be posted as a separate message.

The production of my LED door lights has begun. There is enough interest in the project to move it forward.
    I have already ordered the ICs and should receive them today. The LEDs should be shipped tomorrow and I should get them very soon. There is a waiting list for the circuit boards though. The company making those can't stop production just for me... there is a queue. The lead time is about 10 - 14 days.
    I will post updates on the progress on the DML and DMC Talk.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

why would you have them turned off?
    I disconnect my battery when doing electrical work, and being white when off, the color alone would be an instant indicator of whether or not the battery is connected

My VIN:    6679

Painting the inside of the light is a good idea but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement.
    Chris

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Some exciting news for fans of LEDs: Cause of LED Efficiency Droop Finally Revealed.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Chris,

Nice pictures!
    Yes, painting the inside white or silver will make a big difference with stock bulbs or single point LEDs. I don't believe it will make a huge difference with my square boards though. The LEDs are in four corners of the light shining forward so there won't be very much light to reflect off the sides. I might be wrong of course... I have some aluminium foil and I will try it out when I get a chance.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    03572

Chris,

Nice pictures!
    Yes, painting the inside white or silver will make a big difference with stock bulbs or single point LEDs. I don't believe it will make a huge difference with my square boards though. The LEDs are in four corners of the light shining forward so there won't be very much light to reflect off the sides. I might be wrong of course... I have some aluminium foil and I will try it out when I get a chance.
    It helps because the light refected off the lens gets bounced back.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast