FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: LED door and side marker lights

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Will this LED installation require cutting the OE bulb socket from the harness and installing a mating connector on the harness or just plugging in a wired BA9 base into the OE socket then putting protective sleeve over that connection?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Dennis,
    I haven't decided on the connection yet. I would like to use the original socket for ease of installation and to keep the harness intact. On the other hand the original socket is usually rusted so badly that it needs to be replaced anyway. In that case I would recommend using "super seal" plug and socket as they are far superior to anything that was used in the '80s.

Take care!
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Are the side marker lights polarity specific? If so, they won't work with those of us that have them modified to blink with the turn signals. I currently have LED bulbs in them now but they must have some sort of rectifier as they work with the polarity in any direction.

Chris,
    I can add a bridge rectifier to the circuit to make them work with reversing polarity. That is not a problem.
    Is there a schematic for this mod? I would like to see how it's done to make sure the lights work in all setups.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Here's the guide on how to make them blink:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/markerflash.html

Usually done on the front markers, but I've known a few other D owners that have also done this to their rear markers too.

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    I never put LED's in the sidemarkers becasue LED was too weak.
    I'd like to see a picture inthe dark with a comparisson too, I'm interested.
    Jan
    Jan,

Here are three pictures of the lights, LEDs on top and OEM bulb bottom. They are both connected to the same power supply set at 12.5V
    It's difficult to get a good picture of a light in darkness. The difference in brightness is caused by adjusting the camera. The voltage to the lights was not changed.
    01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    I can add a bridge rectifier to the circuit to make them work with reversing polarity. That is not a problem.
    If you could do this for both the amber and red side markers, I would be VERY interested in getting a set of these. Even more so if you could offer an option with a more diffused look to it so it looks like one uniform light rather than six dots like it does now. If you can get the diffused look for the door lights as well, I'd be interested in those too

My VIN:    05141

I like what I see. I like the sight of that with the 6 lightpoints, looks modern.
    I have replaced my sockets 2 years ago, but I cut the cables and solder the wires. I do not like connectors, certainly not there.
    Also I have a system to make the sidemarkers in the front blink.

So if they work with the blinkers, and they are plug and play (I wil solder the lights anyway) I'm in on it.

btw, my 2 year old sockets do not seem so new anymore. My car hardly sees rain, and is always parked indoors, so I welcome an improvement there.
    I always applaud people comming up with new things to improve the Deloreans!

What did you make for the taillights?
    Welmoed and I tried the star-light LED for the rear. The arms pop open thru springs and fill the lens with LED's. Great idea, but it turned out to have some defects in it becasue both Welmoed and I had to remove them. (supplier SBL was correct enough to reimburse them)
    Jan

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    If you could do this for both the amber and red side markers, I would be VERY interested in getting a set of these. Even more so if you could offer an option with a more diffused look to it so it looks like one uniform light rather than six dots like it does now. If you can get the diffused look for the door lights as well, I'd be interested in those too
    Of course I will make them for both front and rear - amber and red. Right now the first prototype board is amber but red will soon follow. I want to offer a complete set.

For a more diffused effect I mention replacement lenses on my site. With the replacement lens you don't have the # effect. The lens I have right now gives pretty good results but it's not 100% uniform. I will do some more tests with different materials for the lens. Here's what I have now:
    d01.jpgd02.jpg

I will experiment with the side markers as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    I like what I see. I like the sight of that with the 6 lightpoints, looks modern.
    How can I keep everyone happy
    I have replaced my sockets 2 years ago, but I cut the cables and solder the wires. I do not like connectors, certainly not there.
    Also I have a system to make the sidemarkers in the front blink.

So if they work with the blinkers, and they are plug and play (I wil solder the lights anyway) I'm in on it.
    I don't like those old connectors. They are not sealed, water gets in - trouble...

What did you make for the taillights?
    Jan
    For the taillights I will use a custom circuit board with four chip super flux LEDs. This is what they look like:
    flux.jpg

I already did one set of taillights and turn signals for a trailer... as a test. They came out perfect. The LEDs are extremely bright. Nissan 350Z uses the same LEDs and they are BRIGHT! For the reverse lights I want to use six chip super flux LEDs. They should provide plenty of light for reversing.
    But that is still a future project. Right now the door lights are on the bench with side markers to follow. Then I plan on doing front indicators for the US and Europe with amber and white parking lights. Taillights are at the end of this queue.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The OE sockets are Steel and prone to rusting. I think a standard 2 pin OE style (church window) connector with dielectric grease applied to the pin connections would suffice. However, if you want a more sealed style connector. You could use GM Metri-pack sealed connectors. Those assemblies are rather long but designed to be sealed and you can do the dielectric grease with them too.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast