FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lower Control Arm Braces

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Owen, how much are you selling these for ?

I am trying to weigh the differences between these and Ed's wishbones.

Thanks
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Sorry for the late reply, I was on an Alaskan cruise for my 25th anniversary. Absolutely awesome! We've tried Carnival and Norwegian in the past, but Celebrity takes the cake......

The set is $275 delivered domestically. I sent out a bunch of sets before leaving, I'm assuming all have been received by now? I made a couple of extra based on "soft" commitments made by some people. Get 'em while they're hot!!!!!!
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    16811

Hey Owen, glad the cruise went great! I just installed new tires and noticed my old tires are wearing more on the inside. Didn't you mention an adjustment with washers that may help with camber?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    Hey Owen, glad the cruise went great! I just installed new tires and noticed my old tires are wearing more on the inside. Didn't you mention an adjustment with washers that may help with camber?

Not camber, caster. I'm not aware that camber is adjustable at all on our cars, just toe. By adding shims on the trailing end of the body pivot bolt or the shock tower bolt, you can minimally change the car's caster (you are moving the control arm and wheel a little forward or back). Doing so will affect the toe also. The geometry of the braces was generated on an aligned car, under load. It should therefore be very close for an "average" car. The addition of shims is purely to accommodate the minor differences between individual cars. Finding a good front-end alignment shop is better than finding a good doctor!
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Three more sets sold. I'm glad to see the acceptance in the community! I certainly appreciate it.

I was reminded the other day by TexasTwister that the caster is indeed minimally adjustable on our cars, albeit in a kluge manner..... The front sway bar center mounting brackets are elongated, allowing for a bit of forward/aft movement. Given the amount of flex in the bar, this is of dubious value in my opinion; hence my braces. While nothing more than stainless steel washers, the shims that I provide in the kit allow the owner to adjust the caster a bit by positioning them either on the trailing end of the shock bolt (moving the LCA slightly forward) or the trailing end of the frame bolt (moving the LCA slightly rearward). Remember, this should be checked with the suspension fully loaded, not hanging freely. All of our cars are slightly different. I have found that a "lifetime" alignment package from Firestone is worth the money on our cars! In fact, my local shop lets me get under and help/supervise. Then again, this is Texas and we don't have an abundance of invasive consumer protection laws...... I'll stop there at the risk of getting too political in a week where the SCOTUS entered a new era of legislating instead of adjudicating......
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    3997

Just installed these on my car. I really like them. Easy to install. I bought a set from another owner who went a different route.

Only did one test drive, but could really tell the difference in handling and steering vibration.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Just installed these on my car. I really like them. Easy to install. I bought a set from another owner who went a different route.

Only did one test drive, but could really tell the difference in handling and steering vibration.
    Glad to hear! I'm shipping out a set today to someone in KY. I have a lot of miles on mine by now and continue to be happy with their performance. If you didn't do so, I'd strongly suggest having your alignment checked after installing them. People's bushings wear and since the sway bar which attaches to the control arms has a large degree of play in it (bending & mounting adjustment), bracing the back of the LCA may cause your toe angle to somewhat change. The braces were designed and built based on a stock car suspension, fully preloaded, but everyone's car is going to be a little bit different in so many ways. Better safe than to start scrubbing tires. My local Firestone dealer sold me lifetime alignment for mine. I've heard some get squirrely when they find out it is a Delorean, but once they find out that only the toe can be set and that it is done like any other car they come around. (I'm not counting using any shims for camber or monkeying with camber with the sway bar mounting brackets.....)
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    3997

I plan to do so Friday! Mine was already off, so it worked out perfectly.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    REDACTED

Are these braces still available, Owen? I'm redoing my front end now, and have been looking for such a solution...
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

Let me see if I have any left.....I know I have a set on loan to Rob Grady to test, but I don't know if he's put them on yet. I may have to knuckle down and get a whole new batch built as there has been renewed interest of late.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast