FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flasher Relay location??

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Bringing this one back from the dead because I attempted to switch out my flasher relay today so I could upgrade to LEDs. I found the relay and actually had no issues taking it out, the plug is in great shape and was not brittle. However, when I put the new relay in, it didn't work. I purchased it from superbrightleds.com and I did notice that the power and ground are on opposite sides of the original. So are you guys taking the plug apart and switching the wires? Or is there another relay with he same layout?
    Swap the two pins on the harness as necessary. I had to do this same thing, except with my headlights (which use the same plug actually). It's fairly simple to do though with the existing plug -- unplug the relay, get a small flat-head screwdriver (the size used for eyeglasses, small electronics, etc.), and press it in from the rear of the harness, the side the wires are on. Then pull the wires out. Do NOT use force, it should come out easily.

Basically there's a small "barb" on each metal spade that holds it in place. Pushing this barb in so it's flat, the pin slides out freely. Then gently push the barb back out with a screwdriver and re-insert in the new location. You'll have to do the same thing to your headlights if you ever upgrade from sealed beam to H4, for the same exact reason (pinout is different). As long as the plug is intact and the relay is the right size, you should be able to swap wires using that method.

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Bringing this one back from the dead because I attempted to switch out my flasher relay today so I could upgrade to LEDs. I found the relay and actually had no issues taking it out, the plug is in great shape and was not brittle. However, when I put the new relay in, it didn't work. I purchased it from superbrightleds.com and I did notice that the power and ground are on opposite sides of the original. So are you guys taking the plug apart and switching the wires? Or is there another relay with he same layout?
    I got mine from SuperBright and had no issues at all?
    Chris

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Swap the two pins on the harness as necessary. I had to do this same thing, except with my headlights (which use the same plug actually). It's fairly simple to do though with the existing plug -- unplug the relay, get a small flat-head screwdriver (the size used for eyeglasses, small electronics, etc.), and press it in from the rear of the harness, the side the wires are on. Then pull the wires out. Do NOT use force, it should come out easily.

Basically there's a small "barb" on each metal spade that holds it in place. Pushing this barb in so it's flat, the pin slides out freely. Then gently push the barb back out with a screwdriver and re-insert in the new location. You'll have to do the same thing to your headlights if you ever upgrade from sealed beam to H4, for the same exact reason (pinout is different). As long as the plug is intact and the relay is the right size, you should be able to swap wires using that method.
    Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to try that, not going to be fun while wedged under the steering column.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    I got mine from SuperBright and had no issues at all?
    Really? Do you remember if the polarity of the pins was reversed from the original relay?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There are different types of electronic flashers available in the same 3 pin configuration. They are not all the same. You my have gotten your flasher from SBLED's that does not mean it is the correct one for the application. I made the mistake the first time around of getting one that was for a Heavy Duty application. It was made for trucks and trailers the Lights would come ON but not flash. I took it back and they replaced it with this unit.

I use this one for my LED signals TRIDON EP-35 google it. You can probable get one at your local Auto parts store which is where I got mine. this one has the traditional audible CLICK sound. Some versions are silent, but because I have a hard time seeing the indicator lights flashing, I wanted to here the audible click. Works flawlessly. It was about $11 IIRC

Attached Images
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    There are different types of electronic flashers available in the same 3 pin configuration. They are not all the same. You my have gotten your flasher from SBLED's that does not mean it is the correct one for the application. I made the mistake the first time around of getting one that was for a Heavy Duty application. It was made for trucks and trailers the Lights would come ON but not flash. I took it back and they replaced it with this unit.

I use this one for my LED signals TRIDON EP-35 google it. You can probable get one at your local Auto parts store which is where I got mine. this one has the traditional audible CLICK sound. Some versions are silent, but because I have a hard time seeing the indicator lights flashing, I wanted to here the audible click. Works flawlessly. It was about $11 IIRC

Thanks for the info! I will look for that relay
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2