FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Noisy doors that don't open all the way on their own

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Noisy doors that don't open all the way on their own

My car's doors have done this since I bought it two years ago, but I haven't really cared up to this point. I've seen videos of other DeLorean doors opening, and now I'm motivated to fix mine. My doors open about 3/4 the way on their own just fine, but then stop. I then have to push them open the rest of the way, at which point the doors make a noise like rubber on rubber. Kind of hard to describe, which is why I took a video describing the problem.

In other threads, I have read that something similar may be caused by the roof box separation, and I don't know if anything like that is going on with my car. Please see the video and let me know what you think.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Doors partially opening: Assuming the temperature is >60degF try new struts. Do NOT think about adjusting the torsion bars.

Noise troubleshooting:
    - Insert a thin piece of vinyl or thick paper between the torsion bar and the rear door hinge - it looks like the bar is hitting the hinge
    - Inspect roof seals, the ones riveted to the upper door edges (dry ones can rub the door harness or body during opening, making a squeak)
    - Nozzle-spray lithium lube in both door hinges
    - Remove rear finisher panel beneath the sunshade and just at the back of the roof (black plastic with vertical slots across it) and see if the roof box is delaminating - post a photo for us

The silicone sealant is not a problem.

The torsion bar rubbing the rear hinge (perhaps seen at 1:50 to 2:10 in the video clip) IS a problem even if it makes no noise. Separate issue and a common one that can lead to premature torsion bar failure. Easily remedied.

The two non-optional tests are the torsion bar possibly in contact with hinge and the roof box inspection. Either one can cause more than a noise problem. Roof box delam can reduce the door lift, depending on severity.

Do not use any sharp tools on the torsion bars.

My VIN:    3937

http://store.delorean.com/p-9437-door-roof-seal-lh.aspx

What condition are your roof seals in? These are the ones (one per door) that are riveted in place, where you can see them by looking past your torsion bar while the door is open/up. When the doors are closed, they seal up the seam between the edge of the door and the side of the t-panel. Based on when you are hearing your noise, it could be they are rubbing or interfering with something in that last little bit of door opening angle.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the doors stay open all the way after pushing them all the way open, that's fine. They do not have to open ALL the way on their own, they may bounce and that is not good. As for the noise, spray some silicone lubricant on a rag and wipe the rubber seals and on the doors where the seals touch the metal. A couple of drops of oil on the door hinges too.
    David Teitelbaum

Check to see if the ball stud on the door hinge is bent. It will allow the lift strut to rub the door and squeak like yours does.