FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 11408, getting it back on the road!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

VIN 11408, getting it back on the road!

Well here is my build of my 1982 Delorean, just acquired two days ago. Now starts the long process of getting it back on the road.

VIN

Imported the car into Canada Friday night

There was a large car meet the next day (350 cars came out) so I decided to make an appearance.

After the show We dropped off the car to my garage where the major surgery will take place. It is 11X22ft sp it is small but once I get the motorcycle out for the season I feel space will be adequate.

Interior is pretty decent, but still needs alot of work. Will be tackling mechanical issues first.

Trunk:

Engine has not run since 2005 I was told by the PO. Parked due to an oil leak on the rear main seal. The transmission feels extremely stiff as well, dropping it will be the first major job.

Looks like it still has some oil in it haha. Have to figure out where this is coming from.

Frame shots. Looks to be in very good shape. The front had surface rust removed and por-15 applied by the PO

Now the mystery of a painted car. It was believed that this car was dealer painted, but it could not be confirmed. There was bondo on some areas indicating repairs. I bought the car knowing this risk and with the intent to remove the paint. So I started chipping away at cracking spots on the Rear quarter and Drivers door. The rear quarter looks to be garbage, will need to hunt one down.

So that's a brief overview of the car in my first couple days of ownership. Next weekend It will be up on stands getting the brakes removed to determine if they can be rebuilt, the transaxle removed, and taking a good look at the fuel system. Might start removing the exterior panels as well to be media blasted.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4534

With the damage in that area I'd worry the door was also damaged. Take the headliner off that door and see if you can see any dents. The only way I can see that panel being the only one damaged is if someone had the panel off and dropped it. Or they punched it but that would really hurt.

What type of media are you going to get it blasted with? I can verify that chemical stripping is a lot cheaper but a lot more work. Chemical stripping also has the benefit of preserving the grain if it exists under the paint.

Congrats on the purchase.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Thanks for the reply. I have read your thread from start to finish I am aware of the method you used! Air craft stripper is a little hard to come by up here though unfortunately. I have narrowed it down to Either Peel Away 1 or media blasting with walnut at a low psi. Not sure if the media blasting would remove the grain (leaning towards yes) but it would be easier than chemical removal and it is very comparable in price (about 70$ an hour).

The bondo on the door has me wondering about the condition of the other panels. And unlike the other panels the door cannot be repaired (no access from behind in some spots). I do have a spare passenger side door though and the hood and right front and rear fenders appear to be in good shape. Just looks like the right side of the car had some work done to it...

But the mechanical portion of the car will be tackled first. Just removed the bondo as it was cracked and I was curious what was underneath!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Looks like a good project!

What's with the holes in the quarter though. I can't quite figure those out. Maybe they were to try some kind of dent removal from the inside before painting over them?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1768

Ninja 250! I have an '06 myself!

Nice project, looks like it will be taking alot of work. but with the paint gone that will be rewarding to see. What's the plan for the? stock resto? daily driver?

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Looks like a good project!

What's with the holes in the quarter though. I can't quite figure those out. Maybe they were to try some kind of dent removal from the inside before painting over them?
    It used to be standard dent removal practice. It also helped the bondo hold the panel. On a mild steel panel it also helps moisture cause rust.

I think walnuts will take away the grain but I've heard that soda will not. However, soda won't remove bondo.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Ninja 250! I have an '06 myself!

Nice project, looks like it will be taking alot of work. but with the paint gone that will be rewarding to see. What's the plan for the? stock resto? daily driver?
    Thanks! Its actually my friends, I have my bike out already. I have a 88 ninja 250 and his is an 03. Great bike indeed! My plan right now is to get it mechanically sound and go from there. A long term goal will always be an engine swap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    It used to be standard dent removal practice. It also helped the bondo hold the panel. On a mild steel panel it also helps moisture cause rust.

I think walnuts will take away the grain but I've heard that soda will not. However, soda won't remove bondo.
    Thats kind of what I figured, dot have a whole lot of bodywork experience but I have seen a dent puller in use. I am still debating the best way to remove the paint. Maybe Peel Away one for the bulk of the paint and take the panels in for blasting the hard to reach areas. The owner of the sandblasting shop here doesn't seem to like soda blasting so that's not an option lol. I will be doing all the blasting myself as his shop is set up for DIY blasting. Kind of neat as the one cabinet has two sets of guns so you and a friend can blast simultaneously and essentially do twice as much in the time.

I want to get the car running but I want to see that stainless steel! Delorean problems I suppose, haha.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-29-2013 at 01:44 AM.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Congratulation on your purchase

My VIN:    1768

Just noticed the inner door jambs are painted too. Thats going to take a while to get off

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congrats on your purchase man.

You will have your work cut out for you on the body for sure it looks like.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast