FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: VIN 11408, getting it back on the road!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Really nice job, congratulation

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks for the comments guys. The last major hurdles are the MS wiring and the windsheild/door alignment. Then all the odds and ends. Hoping to have it running this spring!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Well I haven't updated this thread in a long, long time so here goes!

Over this winter i picked away at the wiring harness for the MegaSquirt. I basically ripped out anything engine related and started from scratch. Britishwiring.com was a lifesaver! I am very picky when it comes to wiring so I integrated all the MS fuses and relays into the stock delorean fuse compartment. I also utilized the bulkhead connectors to pass through all the engine related wiring, for a neat and stock like setup.

Some other engine related items that I custom fabricated were the crank position sensor, throttle body adapter, and coolant fans. I spent quite a while designing the CPS but I think it turned out great. I have the trigger wheel welded to the crank pulley (not bolted like many others) and the sensor itself utilities the exhaust hanger mount and is fully adjustable. I adapted a ford 5.0 throttle body as it is a very common unit so if I ever go forced induction and need more bore I can get a new TB just about any size I want. It also has a built in IAC so that cuts down on hose routing. The cooling fans are from summit and I fabricated up some mounts, i will make up a proper shroud at a later date for better cooling. If anyone is interested in any of these parts I would love to help you out. If you are doing a 3.0 swap the CPS is a major hurdle and I would gladly make up a kit for anyone interested.

Something else not engine related... Taillight boards. I tried out my stock ones and they worked terribly and I need to feel confident my brake lights are going to work! So I measured out the board and cut it out of 1/16" aluminum and riveted bulb sockets to it. Snaps in like the the original boards and I replaced the flaky connector with a weatherpack connector. All the red lenses have dual filament bulbs so they are park and brake lights.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

After i got the engine all together it was ready for the car to fire! It was slow going at the start as I had the firing order all mixed up but we sorted it out. We found the firing order to be BAC for the edis ignition, not ACB as stated in the mega manual. It fired up and ran well for a first start. It ran very lean though, and I struggled with this for a few weeks. A forum member (opethmike) helped me sort this out and boy did it run great after. I also had issues with a faulty MS box, so i ended up purchasing another and swapping them out. My original box had dead IAC outputs.

The last major hurdle was the windshield. My door alignment was terrible (passenger door would not close) so I figured it needed to be re-installed. I had an installer all lined up and as we were pulling the windshield my brother noticed a major crack in the a-pillar. It became quickly apparent this was the issue. So I loaded up the car and sent it to a gentleman that does fiberglassing in his spare time. He did a wonderful job and its holding up great. The repair is barely noticeable and will be entirely unnoticeable once the trim goes back on. I would do the glassing myself but I don't trust myself for structural fixes yet.

With the windshield installed it was just all the little stuff to go to get the car fully road worthy. Working out electrical gremlins (many in the exterior lighting circuits), getting the air and heater working, exterior trim, alignment, etc etc. It was a hectic few weeks but I got everything together and did something a bit crazy. I took the car to DCS! Preliminary road testing before the trip was about 400km. The car worked great and I fixed issues as they occurred. I would have tested the car out more before the trip but I just got it running right about a week before the trip. So, with crossed fingers I embarked on the 5,500km round trip and the car performed great! Never let me down or left me stranded. I met lots of great people over the weekend and even scored third in the engine swap category (in good company with the famous LS1 and Acura 3.2 swaps)!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I was wondering how your trip home went.

Glad to hear that everyone made it safely and that the car performed well for you

Great having met you, your family members, and getting the change to hang out together at DCS! Looking forward to doing it again sometime, hopefully where you'll actually be able to run your car down the 1/4 mile next time

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Absolutely phenomenal work, Josh. Looks completely stock! Makes my MS conversion look like shit, to be frank. Wow.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Absolutely phenomenal work, Josh. Looks completely stock! Makes my MS conversion look like shit, to be frank. Wow.
    I guarantee your car runs much better that mine still! Plus very jealous of those cams, might be a future upgrade.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Good to see you got her on the road. That engine is looking sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    Good to see you got her on the road. That engine is looking sweet.
    Ill be back in Winnipeg in the next month or so. We can meet up again if you want! Hows your search going?

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ill be back in Winnipeg in the next month or so. We can meet up again if you want! Hows your search going?
    I came close to making a couple deals.
    Feel free to stop by for a beer if you are in town.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast