FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mr. Gasket Invisible Antenna? Where can I find a 1" stainless hole cover?

I went to ACE hardware today and they only had a chrome steel version of the 1" plug. I was thinking of wire brushing it with a wire wheel and then painting it with Hervey's stainless steel paint. At least this will get it closer and buy me time until I get the panel off.

Regarding moving the antenna to the front, I wonder how it would work too....I'm not sure how you would hide the wire, plus you could only extend it as long as the wire it comes with is; any more and it would probably reduce reception.
    Behind the knee pad sounds like an interesting idea....I may try that myself and see if it gets the channels I want...

TBC...

Just an update...

I bought the antenna today and installed it.
    I connected the ground wire(after extending it) to one of the A/C blower fan grounds and ran the power wire back to the fuse box to the #9 fuse which is only on when the key is on. The blue wire on the back of the radio(power antenna signal) would be ideal I believe but it will have to wait until I remove the radio to get to it.....the wire was too short to crimp a connection.
    I was able to disconnect the old antenna from the back of the radio by wedging my hand back there and then after fidgeting was able to get the new antenna plugged in.
    Removal of the fender antenna was possible after pushing it down far enough to hinge the underside levers that hold it in from the inside and pop them out.
    I took a blending pad with the grain and cleaned the dirt and residue...it looks great.

I have the 1" hole plug and will paint it next and post photos.

Regarding the reception, connecting power does boost the reception. FM works great IMO. However, I am still working on AM reception....it works great when I hold the antenna, but gets static when I let go or try hiding it under the dash in different places...I just have to experiment more until I can get it fixed and then the radio will be fully functional...I'll let you all know how I accomplish it...

Josh Q

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Sweet! Can't wait to see!

Below are pictures of the result.
    I used the 1" chrome snap in hole cover from ACE and put some black RTV underneath to seal from water and rain. SS paint did not look right, so I removed the paint and took a scotch brite pad and ran it back and forth over the cap to dull and "grain" it. It looks alot better!
    This winter I will remove the fender and have the hole filled in professionally.

FM works excellent, but AM not as well....however, it's worth the trade-off of no visible antennas...

My VIN:    03572

It looks very good but will it rust?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I'll let you all know....no idea....

My VIN:    03254

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    No mine has been on for years and it blends in so well with the stainless at initial glance you don't even notice it.

I wish to get the hole filled and the panle grained but always seem to have other priorities.

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2