FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hood / panel alignment

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Michael,

What's the name brand of this stuff? MD? I can't make it out in the picture and I'm having trouble locating it up here. Might need to use amazon.

Cheers!
    It reads "md" in the corner, must be the brand but its not very prominent on the package. It doesn't have to be exactly what I used, I'm sure any similar weatherstrip will work. I did get this at Lowes, so if they don't carry that exact product at your store, they probably carry something similar.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks!

I take it 2 rolls does the trick?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

So, here it is with NO weather stripping, NO latch and the LFF shimmed up 3/4".

You can see the corner still doesn't make contact with the fibreglass and still doesn't sit flush with the LFF. The rest of the hood is flat on the tub.

My thought was to see if I could weigh down the corner and use a heat gun to relax that corner of the hood. The reinforcement section is plastic and in theory would warp under heat and reharden in the correct form. Extreme?

http://youtu.be/iYnIw27TZ3M
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Weird!!

You said it is as if it was warped...Is that a poster or another hood in the vid at ~0:08 you might try??
    Maybe remove it form the hinges and see how it sets on a flat surface??

Is the gap between the front of the passenger door and the RFF even? (Wider at the top?)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Is all of the seal off? Looks like there is still some around the gas filler area and down the left side. On my car, the seal down the left fender is what was causing the problem.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That is unusual. It does appear that the hood is tweaked. I doubt you could heat it up enough over a large enough area with a heat gun. Are the front edges of the hood lined up? Are the hinges in good condition? You say you raised the LFF 3/4" but it looks just about level with corner of the left door. It also looks like you could move the hood over to the left a little but the pictures are not all that good. You try to compromise and adjust the gaps all around to be as equal as you can. Maybe the front right corner of the hood is too low, causing the left rear corner to be too high. Did you screw the bump stop in all the way or are you hitting it?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    06960

If you really want to know, remove the hood, striker, then set it down on a flat surface.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

hood

I think the previous owners wife overpacked and the hood was mashed down to latch, causing the ends to be bent up slightly. Is it possible to block the center up and gently press the ends into alignment?

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I think the previous owners wife overpacked and the hood was mashed down to latch, causing the ends to be bent up slightly. Is it possible to block the center up and gently press the ends into alignment?
    I've actually tried this but it bounces back almost immediately.

You wouldn't know that it was slightly off just by looking at it. Ill have to keep working on it.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Was your issue ever resolved? My hood looks the same way. I think I tried lowering the hood latch last year, but then the cable had issues and the hood didn't want to pop open at all. So...I have left it, but noticed it again today. It really does look bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast