FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Little Lower

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    I imagine your car sat too low with a coil and a half removed. When I did mine I used three sets of front springs before I got it right. After you get 5778 sitting like you want take her to an alignment shop and they'll address the camber issue.
    Would love to see how they do that since the only adjustment on these cars (front & rear) is toe. Camber & Caster are non-adjustable....so far, the only mods I know of are the updated & adjustable lower links for the rear only. I don't know of any adjustment options out there available for the front. My car has Grady's springs & I saw a 1.25" drop with them. Camber is still within spec, but caster is out (mostly due to the dropping of only the front of the car.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by propony View Post
    I have cut coils on the front of 5778, 1.5 coils cut out. I just noticed serious tire wear from too much negative camber. I measured a spare set of un-cut oem springs, and the 13" free standing measurement would be approx 1 full coil cut off. Will that 1/2 coil be enough to correct the camber issue? I would cut this set in second and try them, but now I'm gun-shy.
    Curt
    Propony, I apologize for the wrong info on camber ... of course you can't adjust it. Sorry ...

But to your tire wear problem. Do you think it could be from incorrect toe? I ask this because I have driven 4915 in this lowered state for hundreds of thousand miles and never experienced that kind of tire wear. Back when we had a choice I always had sticky tires on the D and they didn't last very long. The rears would be good for about 20,000 miles or less and the wear pattern was always in the middle, no unusual, uneven wear on the edges. The fronts would be good for 30,000 miles or more which I attributed to the light front end. There has never been any unusual or uneven wear on the fronts.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    5778

I think I will try a different shop for the alignment, everyone seemed put-out or nervous about touching it. I drove it up on the rack, and the mechanic determined I had a camber issue before I was stopped on the rack. He never hung a head on the wheel. He said the tires have too much wear, and they do have wear on the inside edge, but the tires looked right in the wheel well. Buying new tires this week, and will try again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3