FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Little Lower

My VIN:    16245

I redid my suspension recently. I had to take one spring out and rotate it 90 degrees because it would not sit in the perch correctly after reassembly.

Also, I jacked up the control arm to the level it should be under load when i torqued the bolts to factory spec.

Unless the springs are not correctly seated in the perches, I don't see how time will fix it. But again I'm not even qualified to be called a hack!
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    5757

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Good advice so far in this thread.

Since not all fenders are mounted the same and since not all photos are taken at a fixed angle can you share the front crossmember ride height with us?

With a full tank and no cargo ours is at 5.0 in. or maybe 4.9 in. on the Eibach springs (the shocks play no role in front ride ht.). And the top-of-tire-center tread to top arch of fender is ~1.0 in.

The front end work we've done has all been done as recommended elsewhere in the thread. Loose fit on bushings during assembly, final tightening after the car is down on its suspension. At the shop.

Your clearances may vary.
    From the ground to the top of the wheel well it's 24.5 inches--I'm guessing this is way to high for an Eibach setup--my eyes tell me that much. An inch between the tire and top of the wheel well would seem right.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JRNY13 View Post
    From the ground to the top of the wheel well it's 24.5 inches--I'm guessing this is way to high for an Eibach setup--my eyes tell me that much. An inch between the tire and top of the wheel well would seem right.
    That dimension may be high, depending on reference points and car variations between cars.

Front crossmember ride height is from the floor/ground up to the center of the frame where it runs between the two front wheels. What is that front crossmember ride height/clearance on your car? Reference dimension on our car running Eibachs with correctly set susp. bushings is ~5.0 in. per previous post.

You don't really need to report it. After you get the bushings re-set to neutral position like you plan to the car's frame will be wherever it will be. Fenders, too.

Even if your car settles no further, you DO want to take the preload off of the suspension bushings. It's not good for them.

Here's a before and after adjustment shot. I measured--it's a half inch lower--probably still too high, but it does look better to my eye.

DSC_0248.jpgDSC_0251.jpg

My VIN:    04915

Here's the unpopular answer to your question. You have two choices ... use lowering springs from one of the vendors (they're all too high) or take the stock front springs and cut them down to a free standing height of 13 inches ... that's the only way to lower the front end enough. Of course if you choose to lower the car that much you will have to drive smart and be careful with speed bumps, etc. Below is 4915 with the shortened springs. The fenders are full of tire and they don't rub.
    Again, you'll need to drive smart.

Poison Springs 002.jpg

Edit: I just noticed the attached picture was taken at Poison Springs State Park ...ironically most on this forum regard my solution as 'Poison Springs'
    Last edited by Jacko; 05-26-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I have the Eibach set up and I needed rubber coil boosters to keep the front end from bottoming out. A full tank of gas/luggage and 2 people and it sits too low IMO. We tend to judge the height by how the car looks when we are not sitting in it. As soon as you get in the front end will drop a fair amount up to 2 inches in some cases. Your 1 inch wheel clearance in the fender arch suddenly goes minus 1 inch up into the fender opening.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I have the Eibach set up and I needed rubber coil boosters to keep the front end from bottoming out. A full tank of gas/luggage and 2 people and it sits too low IMO. We tend to judge the height by how the car looks when we are not sitting in it. As soon as you get in the front end will drop a fair amount up to 2 inches in some cases. Your 1 inch wheel clearance in the fender arch suddenly goes minus 1 inch up into the fender opening.

Good point. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. The pic was taken with a full tank.

My VIN:    5778

Camber trouble?

I have cut coils on the front of 5778, 1.5 coils cut out. I just noticed serious tire wear from too much negative camber. I measured a spare set of un-cut oem springs, and the 13" free standing measurement would be approx 1 full coil cut off. Will that 1/2 coil be enough to correct the camber issue? I would cut this set in second and try them, but now I'm gun-shy.
    Curt

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JRNY13 View Post
    Good point. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. The pic was taken with a full tank.
    Not sure what you mean by leaving well enough alone. Did you follow this posted advice from Josh already?
    "Loosen all of the suspension hardware and re torque with the front end weighted down. Loosen the upper control arm to frame bolt, lower shock bolt and lower control arm to frame mounting point. Put additional weight in the luggage compartment and torque. That is not how a car with a DMCH spring kit should sit."

If the hardware was snugged up with the car on the lift then, yes, the car may "settle" but only because the bushings are slowly shearing themselves and perhaps degrading in the process. You want the hardware set without shear and twist in the rubber when the car is on the ground at least, and maybe even loaded as suggested, and only then tightened. That way the car will be set to the final height without beating any parts up in the process. It's an easy bit of reassurance and maybe more lowering if you are not sure it was done correctly. Having the bushings give out in a few years because they were preloaded isn't a good idea.

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by propony View Post
    I have cut coils on the front of 5778, 1.5 coils cut out. I just noticed serious tire wear from too much negative camber. I measured a spare set of un-cut oem springs, and the 13" free standing measurement would be approx 1 full coil cut off. Will that 1/2 coil be enough to correct the camber issue? I would cut this set in second and try them, but now I'm gun-shy.
    Curt
    I imagine your car sat too low with a coil and a half removed. When I did mine I used three sets of front springs before I got it right. After you get 5778 sitting like you want take her to an alignment shop and they'll address the camber issue.
    Jack Skeens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast