FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A Restoration With A Twist.

My VIN:    04915

A Restoration With A Twist.

As some of you may know, I'm having 4915 refurbished by Josh Bengston at DPI. He's replaced or refurbished practically everything mechanical. She will have a Spec II engine, ceramic coated exhaust, new transaxle. galvinized frame. I've opted to replace the Left Front Fender which had a small dent made worse by me trying to fix it. The front fascia will be replaced and the outside of the car will be as new. Josh is doing his customary magic under the car and I decided to replace the front fascia and LFF to address the only blemishes in the stainless. I'm spending way too much money on her but hopefully I'll relive that feeling of driving her home new on July 18, 1983 which is my birthday. Best birthday present I ever got. Although she has over 365,000 miles on her I'm gonna treat her as if she were brand new with zero miles. I'll do a better job of keeping and organizing receipts and important stuff. I plan on visiting this site regularly with updates, photos and reports of how she's doing.

Now for the twist ... July 18, 1983 was my birthday, my 40th birthday. I'll do the math. In a couple of months I will be 70 years old. Most folks, at my age, are selling their cars or giving it to their grandsons. Not me, I will resume my habit of driving the D every day even if it's just around the block. I'm in pretty good shape even though I have had Parkinsons for some years now and it doesn't interfere with me driving. So wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
    Jack Skeens

Good luck!

Would like to see that car restored. Let us know when ready.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Finely wore the original drivetrain out, eh?

Looking forward to the before and after pics.

If you don't mind me asking, did you sell your "lower" mileage car, that use to appear in your signature along with 4915?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Although she has over 365,000 miles on her
    O_O a Delorean can handle all these miles??
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Good for you Jack! Best of luck with it when you get the car back.

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Good luck and many miles on your car.

I'm your age and I'm targetting to live the dream at least until I've turned a personal age.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    16867

A twist upon the twist

On July 18,1983 I was 50 years old, having just celebrated my 50th birthday 4 days ealier, and enjoying my first summer as a DeLorean owner. So, doing the math, I will be 80 this July and have been an owner for slightly over 30 years. I keep toying with the idea of selling my DeLorean (16867) and then reality sets in. I just can't! Yes, I know it is "just a car", . . . . yeah, right. As long as I am capable of driving, I'll continue to enjoy the perverted relationship I have with this "inanimate object". For years I lived ina an environment where winter driving was out of the question, so I don't have quite the mileage that you do, only 145,000 miles on it, but I do expect to see 200,000 at some point.

These cars were made to drive and provide enjoyment. That is just what you and I are allowing them to do.

Dick Ryan

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Owners like Rad Dad, Jack Skeens, and Oliver Holler are living proof that these cars are useful and not just for looking pretty. Love stories like these!!

My VIN:    3299

You, sir, are a breath of fresh air. I love your attitude, and I respect you for being an owner for so very long. I genuinely hope that all works out well for you when you get the DeLorean back, and I hope you have many trouble-free miles and cruises ahead in the future!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    As some of you may know, I'm having 4915 refurbished by Josh Bengston at DPI. He's replaced or refurbished practically everything mechanical. She will have a Spec II engine, ceramic coated exhaust, new transaxle. galvinized frame. I've opted to replace the Left Front Fender which had a small dent made worse by me trying to fix it. The front fascia will be replaced and the outside of the car will be as new. Josh is doing his customary magic under the car and I decided to replace the front fascia and LFF to address the only blemishes in the stainless. I'm spending way too much money on her but hopefully I'll relive that feeling of driving her home new on July 18, 1983 which is my birthday. Best birthday present I ever got. Although she has over 365,000 miles on her I'm gonna treat her as if she were brand new with zero miles. I'll do a better job of keeping and organizing receipts and important stuff. I plan on visiting this site regularly with updates, photos and reports of how she's doing.

Now for the twist ... July 18, 1983 was my birthday, my 40th birthday. I'll do the math. In a couple of months I will be 70 years old. Most folks, at my age, are selling their cars or giving it to their grandsons. Not me, I will resume my habit of driving the D every day even if it's just around the block. I'm in pretty good shape even though I have had Parkinsons for some years now and it doesn't interfere with me driving. So wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
    Awesome Jack. Thanks for sharing this. I'm looking forward to seeing your updated photos and such!
    Jeff

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast