FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Window/Radio Combo problem.

My VIN:    3299

Window/Radio Combo problem.

Hey guys,

So, I am posting this on behalf of another owner up here in Ohio. Just wanted to throw this out and get some more ideas. So here's his car's issue(s):

1. He just put in a new window regulator. It was working fine back in March. Now, all of a sudden, when he goes to rolls the psgr window up, nothing happens. He has swapped his window switches - nothing. Each time he tries to roll the window up, he sees his dash lights dim a tiny bit, so the switch is good, and it is giving the motor the power it needs. He only hears a "click" when trying to roll the window up; he hears no noise from the motor.

2. Now here's the interesting part. He'll be driving with his radio on, and he'll try to roll the psgr window up. When he does this, fuse #11, the only 30A fuse, which just so happens to control the radio/power windows/auto shifting light will blow. It is an instantaneous event - he doesn't have to "hold the window switch and wait for it to happen" - the fuse will blow immediately.

To me, it sounds like he has a short between the two circuits controlling the radio and the power windows. He has been behind the center console lately, hence, why I think it could be a short. What do you guys think?
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

He needs to replace his 30 amp. for a 100 amp. fuse.

No, don't do that, just kidding.

Seems like a bad w.r. motor.

Disconnect the motor and try again, if still blow the fuse, then check the wiring, if not, replace the motor again

LEVY

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Hey guys,

So, I am posting this on behalf of another owner up here in Ohio. Just wanted to throw this out and get some more ideas. So here's his car's issue(s):

1. He just put in a new window regulator. It was working fine back in March. Now, all of a sudden, when he goes to rolls the psgr window up, nothing happens. He has swapped his window switches - nothing. Each time he tries to roll the window up, he sees his dash lights dim a tiny bit, so the switch is good, and it is giving the motor the power it needs. He only hears a "click" when trying to roll the window up; he hears no noise from the motor.

2. Now here's the interesting part. He'll be driving with his radio on, and he'll try to roll the psgr window up. When he does this, fuse #11, the only 30A fuse, which just so happens to control the radio/power windows/auto shifting light will blow. It is an instantaneous event - he doesn't have to "hold the window switch and wait for it to happen" - the fuse will blow immediately.

To me, it sounds like he has a short between the two circuits controlling the radio and the power windows. He has been behind the center console lately, hence, why I think it could be a short. What do you guys think?
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    16619

If he has a multimeter, check the current through the fuse. Based on what has been said, my guess is that the Window is stuck somehow, Bad Ground or Bad connections.

If the fuse isn't blowing when just the Window SW is operated or just Audio, then I don't believe there would be a short since it would blow for either condition.

What seems to be instant, could be a noticeable difference when monitored on something such as an Oscilloscope. Current in the motor peaks for a brief time until the Motor voltage incs and current decreases. So what seems instant to the visible eye, maybe longer then it should be and that added current for even longer time with the Fuse and Illumination for A/C and Gear could cause it to pop. Granted it was a silly idea to put a motor and Audio on same fuse, but it is what it is.

lucas!!!!
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    If he has a multimeter, check the current through the fuse.
    If you don't mind me asking, the common DMM has a 10A limit. If this is blowing a 30A fuse, isn't this going to just blow the 10A fuse in the multimeter??
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    03572

If you don't mind me asking, the common DMM has a 10A limit. If this is blowing a 30A fuse, isn't this going to just blow the 10A fuse in the multimeter??
    +1

What radio is he using? You can stick a 20, 15, 10 amp fuse and see if that holds only using the good window motor. Then you can narrow down the problem at the expense of some blown fuses.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16619

Ah yeah, oops. I'm used to using Higher rating DMMs, Clamps or shunts, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    .............. Bad Ground or Bad connections. .............

What seems to be instant, could be a noticeable difference when monitored on something such as an Oscilloscope......... So what seems instant to ...........
    Bad ground or bad connection would not cause this kind of "instant " fuse blow.

Now, for the average car owner, if a fuse is blown within a half a second after you hit the swtch, that is an instant blown fuse!

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

I had a bad switch that was shorting internally that was causing this. Also make sure that the switches can move freely and are not binding in the center console, as that can cause problems & fuse blowing too
    Still rocking the Ducellier