FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Body Kits?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    +1
    Most people I've talked to about these don't realize that these are not a bolt-on kit. You need to figure out how you're going to attach these, you'll be drilling holes, sanding and mine at least needed fiberglass work so that they would fit the curves of the car. Not only that, I have to repaint the rocker skirts after a few years due to road debris chipping the paint slowly. After hitting a few parking blocks, I removed the front strip entirely.

I think it is all worth it though, I love the look. Good luck.
    I agree, I actually don't have the front lip or the rear bumper extension. I really only was a fan of the sides so that's what I've got installed. Also, for anyone considering these, I recommend painting them using something that comes in a rattle can. That way anytime one gets scuffed, scraped, rock chipped, etc. you can rattle can it and match the color while it's on the car.

Pimping out the DeLorean!! looks good

My VIN:    2506

What's the status of body kits? I've heard from multiple sources that they are no longer being produced. I was considering getting a set, or at least the skirts..

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

At this point, your best bet for that info is to call DMCH themselves and ask.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    2506

I did and apparently the guy retired and the molds have been sold. I suppose I'm asking if there are any used or shelved sets out there.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The molds are now owned by Roberto Grady of Long Island.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by wfox2506 View Post
    I did and apparently the guy retired and the molds have been sold. I suppose I'm asking if there are any used or shelved sets out there.
    Yes we bought the molds for the Ground Effects Kits, HEADLINER KITS, A&B Post Mldgs, Rear T Roof Screens, Coil Box Covers, & Radiator Shrouds from Hank Bolden last year. He is training our body tech in the intricacies of making fiberglass parts using his molds. We were his first wholesale customer for many of these items so he gave us first dibs when he decided to sell them. We are currently starting to slowly crank out headliner kits and his next visit will be to assist in the making of ground effects kits. None of the DMCH franchises have expressed interest in any of these parts so not sure what they are doing about supplying them.
    Rob Grady

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Yes we bought the molds for the Ground Effects Kits, HEADLINER KITS, A&B Post Mldgs, Rear T Roof Screens, Coil Box Covers, & Radiator Shrouds from Hank Bolden last year. He is training our body tech in the intricacies of making fiberglass parts using his molds. We were his first wholesale customer for many of these items so he gave us first dibs when he decided to sell them. We are currently starting to slowly crank out headliner kits and his next visit will be to assist in the making of ground effects kits. None of the DMCH franchises have expressed interest in any of these parts so not sure what they are doing about supplying them.
    Rob Grady
    Hank offered Stephen the molds to all the parts a year or so ago, I think, when he was talking again about finally retiring. We thought his ask was on the high side, and as we had already been making headliners locally for several years, we went ahead and had molds made for the stuff Hank used to supply. Headliners, radiator ducts, a- and b-pillars, coil covers, washer bottle covers, and fuel filler access covers are already being produced here in Houston, Texas. We've also got a number of new molds being made for some other parts that are getting low or otherwise NLA.

We saw so little demand for the body kits that we always bought them from Hank on a "made to order" basis and we don't see a business case to re-make the tooling for those and further dilute that already limited market since Rob has the molds for it now.

Fiberglass front fascias are still made exclusively for us in Ohio.
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Hank offered Stephen the molds to all the parts a year or so ago, I think, when he was talking again about finally retiring. We thought his ask was on the high side, and as we had already been making headliners locally for several years, we went ahead and had molds made for the stuff Hank used to supply. Headliners, radiator ducts, a- and b-pillars, coil covers, washer bottle covers, and fuel filler access covers are already being produced here in Houston, Texas. We've also got a number of new molds being made for some other parts that are getting low or otherwise NLA.

We saw so little demand for the body kits that we always bought them from Hank on a "made to order" basis and we don't see a business case to re-make the tooling for those and further dilute that already limited market since Rob has the molds for it now.

Fiberglass front fascias are still made exclusively for us in Ohio.
    Well it's true he wasn't exactly giving the molds away but they are of a high quality and, because Hank needs some help to get his Delorean back on the road, we were able to negotiate a partly barter deal that left all sides happy. I believe that in the best type of business deal both parties leave the table smiling and so we did!
    Rob

My VIN:    1235

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DOA) (DCUK)

Hi everyone! I know this is an older post but I recently purchased a D with ground skirts on it. I ended up removing the front one because of low clearance with the lowered suspension. I might go back to the original rocker panels one day but with all the rivets and screws underneath these skirts, I may just leave it. I have heard the returning it to stock can be a bear!
    2019-04-26 16.41.05.jpg
    Anthony Z

1981 - Auto - Black - Island Twin Turbo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast