FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brake Fluid Leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    DeLorTex, I've got two reservoir seals that I could remove from my old brake master and ship to you. I bought one of the new units from DMCH so my original master cyl is sitting on a shelf. I can't promise their condition is in much better shape than yours though. The master itself was pretty rusty and pitted inside which is why I replaced it. It didn't appear to be leaking from the connection points to the reservoir though. If you're interested the seals are yours at no charge.

Otherwise I always seem to have luck calling DMCMW for parts like this that aren't normally sold separately.
    Thanks Mark thats very kind. I believe I could slip them on the reseviour posts and tell right away if they were tighter. What would you like for compensation? Will they slip into an envelope? I'm heading up to Siren WI. in a short while-- 1 week-- to do some work, but I'll give you an address here to mail to-- Alan Hebzynski, C/O Mike Sawyer 381 Independance . San Benito TX 78586. I'll also call DMCMW and see if they can supply new. Probably won't be able to get back to it for a month. Got a couple days of scrapping, rust treatment and repaint on the frame. Darn, I just did that 15 years ago.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Today I started removing all the old crappy epoxy. A lot came off, but there is still a lot on there and it's very stubborn. Any suggestions of how to loosen it up so I can scrape the rest off? Paint thinner, perhaps?
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    Today I started removing all the old crappy epoxy. A lot came off, but there is still a lot on there and it's very stubborn. Any suggestions of how to loosen it up so I can scrape the rest off? Paint thinner, perhaps?
    Propane torch is about the best. Outdoors, it really stinks. Don't let it burn, it will get soft and let go.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It also depends on how far you want to go. All you really have to remove is the stuff that is no longer adhering to the metal. That comes off pretty easily. If you want to remove what is firmly adhering then you need heat, a propane torch, is your best bet but be careful of nearby heat sensitive parts. I say just remove what comes off easily, feather sand the edges, prime the bare metal and spray paint it. If you are working in the area of the fuel tank, it should be removed.
    David Teitelbaum

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

I removed it and took it to a powder-coating shop to have it stripped down and re-finished.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    This is so commonplace that the question should almost be "has anyone NOT experienced this?" I had my fair share of it from a PO but it's been cleaned up since. Last month when I did a brake job, every drop I spilled tried to find its way back to this very spot...
    Good point. It serves notice to all that when servicing the clutch or brake masters or when flushing and topping up it's a good idea to stuff a fat towel or cloth right under the plumbing and above the frame/tank as a dropcloth. It will absorb the fluid before it can reach something with paint on it.

I don't think the problem is so much spilt fluid so much as leaking fluid. When you spill some it will quickly dry up. When the cylinder leaks it leaks slowly so that the area that gets wet is kept wet for a long time. That eventually softens the epoxy and it comes loose from the metal. It is VERY common to see that area under the brake master to get wet and usually when the clutch master leaks it gets under the carpet inside the car. When it is really bad it also gets the paint where the gas tank is and loosens the paint in that area and on the plate. Brake fluid must be really potent to attack epoxy, almost nothing can do that! Not even paint remover!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5625

I have the same sort of leak issue, but coming from the other side. I have fluid leaking from the slave cylinder side. I found bubbled epoxy on the frame rail by the braided ss clutch line in front of the drivers rear wheel. I have also found a very occasional drip onto my drip pan where brake fluid is collecting on the bottom of the transmission, then onto the drip pan. I cannot seem to find the source. When I look up at the trans I see nothing wet up from the where the drip collects. when I look up to the ss braded clutch line connection to the hard pipe going to the slave cylinder, I don't see anything wet. I feel like i have 2 issues. One being a leaking ss cluctch line and maybe a leaking slave cylinder? Will the slave cylinder leak into the trans bell house then onto the bottom of the trans? And has anyone had issues with DMCH ss braided clutch line leaking? I cant seem to track this leak down....

Thoughts on where to look?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I have the same sort of leak issue, but coming from the other side. I have fluid leaking from the slave cylinder side. I found bubbled epoxy on the frame rail by the braided ss clutch line in front of the drivers rear wheel. I have also found a very occasional drip onto my drip pan where brake fluid is collecting on the bottom of the transmission, then onto the drip pan. I cannot seem to find the source. When I look up at the trans I see nothing wet up from the where the drip collects. when I look up to the ss braded clutch line connection to the hard pipe going to the slave cylinder, I don't see anything wet. I feel like i have 2 issues. One being a leaking ss cluctch line and maybe a leaking slave cylinder? Will the slave cylinder leak into the trans bell house then onto the bottom of the trans? And has anyone had issues with DMCH ss braided clutch line leaking? I cant seem to track this leak down....

Thoughts on where to look?
    If the clutch slave is leaking it's possible for it to get in the clutch it self. Look for fluid on the transmission side of the engine cradle crossmember. When mine leaked I had fluid there.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    If the clutch slave is leaking it's possible for it to get in the clutch it self. Look for fluid on the transmission side of the engine cradle crossmember. When mine leaked I had fluid there.

Dave B.
    Have an assistant hold the clutch pedal down while you see if you can find the source of the leak. Most likely the seal in the slave cylinder or a connection. If the master cylinder was leaking and was replaced (and the slave was not) it is most likely the slave cylinder that is leaking. If the slave cylinder is leaking you will know as soon as you remove it, it will be very obvious.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast