FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Beaten to DEATH!!! Body leaks

My VIN:    (formerly 16276) & (Currently) 00901

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Beaten to DEATH!!! Body leaks

Now, I complied with the SB involving body leaks. However, I seem to get a pretty good leak coming from the passenger headliner above the sun visor. Not only does it do that, but the soaking spreads through the whole T panel.

What are some common leak problems aside from the SB that causes the headliner to soak?

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1983 View Post
    What are some common leak problems aside from the SB that causes the headliner to soak?
    If you know for sure your headliner material is not wicking the water up through the fold-over, I can think of two possibilities not in the S/B. You may have cracked fiberglass, or a separated windshield.

If someone previously wrapped their hand around the weather seal to pull themselves up out of the car, that stress could have easily cracked the fiberglass resin in the roof structure. This crack would be very difficult to see with the naked eye. I had one of these leaks, and the only way I was able to spot it was inside the car with the headliner removed.

A separated windshield can happen near the top-center of the seal due to the tendency of the roof to want to sag with the weight of the doors. When the urethane seal gets old and weak, this area tends to just let go. It can cause a water leak when the car is sitting on a level surface or facing downhill. It can also leak while the car is at a high velocity to push the water up under the windshield trim.

These are my two thoughts, if you've eliminated headliner fold-over wicking.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    If you know for sure your headliner material is not wicking the water up through the fold-over, I can think of two possibilities not in the S/B. You may have cracked fiberglass, or a separated windshield.

If someone previously wrapped their hand around the weather seal to pull themselves up out of the car, that stress could have easily cracked the fiberglass resin in the roof structure. This crack would be very difficult to see with the naked eye. I had one of these leaks, and the only way I was able to spot it was inside the car with the headliner removed.

A separated windshield can happen near the top-center of the seal due to the tendency of the roof to want to sag with the weight of the doors. When the urethane seal gets old and weak, this area tends to just let go. It can cause a water leak when the car is sitting on a level surface or facing downhill. It can also leak while the car is at a high velocity to push the water up under the windshield trim.

These are my two thoughts, if you've eliminated headliner fold-over wicking.
    Fold over wicking was my first theory. The door needs to be adjusted at the front hinge. But I may as well check the entire thing to make sure. Also, its really hard to pinpoint where the source is only because it seems to be soaked evenly.

How'd you fix the fiberglass crack? Just some sealant, or a patch?
    Last edited by DMC1983; 05-16-2013 at 07:06 PM.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1983 View Post
    How'd you fix the fiberglass crack? Just some sealant, or a patch?
    Went over it with some fresh resin.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Fold over wicking is my guess.

Remove the inner door seal and look at the material. It should extend less than a 1/4 or so over the lip. Any more and your inviting water.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pull the Tee panel off and remove the rectangular plate that is taped on over a hole. Look inside and see if it is full of water.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Pull the Tee panel off and remove the rectangular plate that is taped on over a hole. Look inside and see if it is full of water.
    David Teitelbaum
    Roof T panel or interior trim T panel?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The exterior S/S Tee roof panel. Underneath is the plate. The roof structure has been known to fill with water and everything inside gets all rusty and water leaks out. If you have been having leaks and the interior headliner got wet you may want to also remove that to clean and dry it to remove any stains. Be careful wit it though, the foam is probably dust and you will have to recover it and the door headliners.
    David Teitelbaum