FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Horn upgrade

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

I just bought a Hella dual tone air horn and an wireless relay set. Plan is to attach a wireless remote to MOMO steering wheel button. If it works, I will post how to.

image.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thats cool. I saw that when i was looking around for horn options. I just want something as loud as a modern car horn. I can fart louder than the DeLorean horn. It's so quiet it's dangerous. There have been so many times someone has drifted into my lane or failed to see me and there was nothing I could do but hit the brakes.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Years ago I installed upgraded horns and wired them up via a relay so as not to melt the original horn switch. Pretty easy to do. Now the horn switch only triggers the relay, which draws directly from the battery.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Do u have a how to on that, Patrick?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I did the same thing; it's pretty easy. Under the dash, I located the wire that goes from the horn switch to the horns. There is a connector for the column wiring harness above the column, so that was where I tapped in. I pulled the pin out of the connector (in a non damaging way), and rerouted the wire from the horn switch to the trigger side of a relay that I also mounted under the dash. The output side of the relay then goes to the other side of the connector, leading to the horns themselves. Then you just need to get 12v battery power to the relay, as well as a ground, to the appropriate terminals (which are the same for pretty much all relays).

This way, the higher current draw of the larger horns doesn't flow through the stalk and potentially damage the switch.

EDIT: here is a good relay diagram:
    basicrelay.jpg
    Stalk switch wire - Terminal 86
    Horns - Terminal 87
    12v battery power - Terminal 30/51
    Ground - Terminal 85

Do not use Terminal 87a (unless your want your horns to always be on, except when you press the horn switch )
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 01-17-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Love to see some pics of this, also does the Delorean have any Earthing trees that you can just add onto, where?
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    I just bought a Hella dual tone air horn and an wireless relay set. Plan is to attach a wireless remote to MOMO steering wheel button. If it works, I will post how to.

image.jpg
    Nice! I had a version of those on one previous car. It was definitely loud!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I did the same thing; it's pretty easy. Under the dash, I located the wire that goes from the horn switch to the horns. There is a connector for the column wiring harness above the column, so that was where I tapped in. I pulled the pin out of the connector (in a non damaging way), and rerouted the wire from the horn switch to the trigger side of a relay that I also mounted under the dash. The output side of the relay then goes to the other side of the connector, leading to the horns themselves. Then you just need to get 12v battery power to the relay, as well as a ground, to the appropriate terminals (which are the same for pretty much all relays).

This way, the higher current draw of the larger horns doesn't flow through the stalk and potentially damage the switch.

EDIT: here is a good relay diagram:
    basicrelay.jpg
    Stalk switch wire - Terminal 86
    Horns - Terminal 87
    12v battery power - Terminal 30/51
    Ground - Terminal 85

Do not use Terminal 87a (unless your want your horns to always be on, except when you press the horn switch )
    Exactly how I did it!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    Love to see some pics of this, also does the Delorean have any Earthing trees that you can just add onto, where?
    No. I added one of those for 12V as well as one for ground. This is what I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

EDIT: Here is a photo of them in my car. And yes, I have a LOT of aftermarket electronics wired in.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick C; 01-17-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    whenever possible, wire a new ground. Deloreans are not known for their good grounding. Whenever I make a new circuit I string out a new ground.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast