FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inner Door seals - Comparison between vendors

My VIN:    16409

Here are the measurements for the door seals. This is the diagram that corresponds to the measurements:

Edge - 1/8

A - 5/8

B - 9/16

C- 1 3/16

This is the part number on the web site, 1120A232.

Here is another seal with similar measurements:

Edge - 3/16

A - 5/8

B - 17/32

C- 1 5/32

This is the part number on the web site, 1120A332.

Both seals are $1.73 a foot.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Yea when you get those measurements let me know. I need to replace my 3 year old seals already since my doors don't sit right and this direct option would be much cheaper. I need to do the outer ones too at some point.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Here are the measurements for the door seals. This is the diagram that corresponds to the measurements:

Edge - 1/8

A - 5/8

B - 9/16

C- 1 3/16

This is the part number on the web site, 1120A232.

Here is another seal with similar measurements:

Edge - 3/16

A - 5/8

B - 17/32

C- 1 5/32

This is the part number on the web site, 1120A332.

Both seals are $1.73 a foot.
    Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for posting this info. I'm really interested in this. I just put new seals on my door and the bulb is so big, it's catching on the door and tearing like everyone elses.

Two questions:

1) How do you like the McMaster seals, and
    2) Out of the two part numbers you listed, which would you say is the better one at sealing water out but still clearing the door? I guess I'm looking for the biggest bulb that doesn't contact the door.

Thanks again.

Edit: actually, I guess the bulb is the same on both. But same question: are you happy with the performance?

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

And are we sure Hervey's have a bulb that's 5/8"? I'm not a huge fan of going with the same diameter that I have now. That's the root cause of my problem. I'm hoping his are a little smaller but will still grip onto the GRP on the car.

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5096

kings1527: I don't know what size Hervey sells but McMaster sells a bulb that is 3/16" smaller on their site so if you think that 5/8" is too much, the 7/16" could be an option. I've heard that improperly mounted doors will tear the seals but it is a decent job to loosen and realign them.

My VIN:    16409

RE: Alex

Hey Alex. So far I've been happy with Hervey's seals. When I buy them again I'll go though McMaster. I think going with a slightly smaller bulb would be the sway to go. They seem to to a good job at keeping water out. I also have Martin's silicone outer door seals.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Thanks Chris. I was thinking a smaller bulb would be better, too. I'm considering something smaller from McMaster.

Byrne Henninger has a two-part inner door seal that I'm interested in checking out. You have one seal that goes on the GRP ridge and then another that goes on the door itself. When the door closes, the two strips contact each other but at the same time there isn't all of the material hanging off the GRP that interferes with the door. He emailed me telling me about them but I haven't heard back from him on going ahead with my order. It sounds like a great alternative to a problem that's so common. And supposedly it provides some leeway with doors that are starting to become maligned, although I'm more of a fan of going in and correcting that problem specifically rather than a workaround.

Alex Abdalla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2