FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New LED Clock

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

New LED Clock

I've been trying to sort out a replacement clock as the clock on VIN10719 had been replaced years ago with an after market cruise control.
    After quite a bit of research and development I've managed to manufacture a fully functioning replacement for the clock using modern components. It has battery back-up and comes complete with a new front lens, fixing points and enclosure. Time setting is pretty simple with one "push-button" hole, similar to the stock option. It also comes in a choice of colour: green, blue, red and amber. Both the front lens, enclosure and LED unit are supplied in the chosen colour.

Below are a few images of the unit I managed to take this weekend. The one in the actual dash is the blue version I created, but I'll take a few pics of the green version in the next couple of days in VIN 10719, just to give you an idea.

All parts are laser cut to size, and the lens is a perfect fit. Connection to the car is simply via a live and ground 12V wire, which can be done to the original clock wiring, or as I have done to a permanent 12V feed (similar to the amp). The unit simply bolts onto the original clock fitting posts under the console plate with two washers and two nuts and is very secure.

In effect the units are "version 1.6" (a few alterations after testing so far) so I've not tested them long-term, but the electronics are good, and held secure in the frame. Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

I'm just posting on here to see what everyone thinks. I've got a few units I'm going to sell in the UK to DeLorean owners over here, but I can't see why I couldn't sell them to you guys in the US if people are interested. Just let me know what you think. I'd be very interested in hearing all your thoughts.

Mark

IMG_1141_2.jpgIMG_2982.jpgIMG_2983.jpgIMG_2984.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Nicely done! If I were looking for one, i would have to ask, does it come in 12h mode as well?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

not at the moment, but I'm looking into that. Also doing a version which uses a smaller LED display at 0.3", which is more OEM.

In addition to the above info the battery is good for up to TWO YEARS back-up, so it can be wired into the ignition so the display only comes on with the ignition....

Nice job, looks very nice. Any idea on price yet?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Any idea on price yet?
    My main question as well.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Question

How does it compare with this version?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...=digital+clock

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I have heard a price mentioned elsewhere and I think it is really reasonable, but it is up to the OP to set it here.

Hope he posts it soon.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This is a great idea and probably a huge relief to those who wanted a replacement dash clock. Smaller and greener numbers in 12H format for those who want to have some touch of originality would probably help shift a lot more units, but excellent work either way!!

Very curious on price as well, since the other reproduction mentioned above was kind of steep.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6514

Club(s):   (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Want !!!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Another great clock improvement, like the others, just curious about the price?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast