FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: New LED Clock

My VIN:    5482

Coming back around to the clock not keeping accurate time issue... I can also attest I have noticed this behavior.

Honestly though, for the money and accepting this was done by a fellow user as a side-project, I have no real issue with it.

I'm just happy to have a non-scratched, functional clock in the OEM spot for it. To me it's more about presentation than actually using it for accurate time measure. Heck if I need that I'll look at my phone or watch.

So summing things up for me, it's virtually a non-issue and I'm still happy with the solution.
    Jeff

My VIN:    3299

I actually knew it was a pre-made clock circuit with a custom housing almost at the same time I put down the money for it. One of the solder joints had broken off, and I had to find a reference picture for it. Don't ask me how I found it; it was almost 2 years ago now. Needless to say, at first, I felt a bit deceived. But then I thought about the work it took to design the custom plastic housing, and I said "meh, it was worth it." and never looked back.

I feel Flux3D's solution was fair - you want a functional clock - pay up. Sure, his true donation to the project was the plastic housing, but bottom line: without his housing, you're hosed no matter what clock you use.

To clear things up, I was very sick the last 48 hours, and I think my fever just broke, so apologies for not being here to clean things up a bit earlier. Thank you, Tamir, for keeping things under control.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Fwiw, my working oem clock always runs fast. I Don't care about the accuracy. Only that it functions. Since the car is not a daily driver, I keep the battery disconnected, therefore I have to set it every time I re- connect the battery. Otherwise it just starts at 12:00. Same with the Craig radio. If I want the real time I look at this phone.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Well this a pleasant thread to find when I log in ......

May I start with saying thanks to all those that have defended me in this thread. Your contributions fill me with some hope. What follows is my first reaction to the posts by Shep.

I've just read the last few pages of posts by people, and I have to say my heart is in my mouth. It's the first time I've logged in fully for at least a couple of weeks. I can't believe the venom in the post from Shep with regards my clock. I'm genuinely surprised, shocked and saddened by the post and what he said. For the sake of the forum and everyone else I refuse to be pulled into a personal slanging match with Shep. Instead I will present the facts and let everyone else decide on what they think.

Back in December of 2012 I imported VIN 10719. I it had quite a few things that needed fixing, although was in pretty good nick thanks to much hard work by the previous owner. One problem was a complete lack of a clock. An aftermarket cruise control had been fixed into place where the clock should have gone.

One major problem which I couldn't tackle was a leaking final seal on the gear box, so off it went to Chris Nicholson of PJ Grady fame. While down there picking the car up from Chris I spoke to him about my idea to re-engineer a clock to fill the hole. I explained that I was looking for a replacement LED clock element which I could modify and build a new case around. He was very helpful, and even gave me a non-working clock PCB and case, asking me just to share with him what I produced.

A few months later I managed to make my first clock, using a LED clock sourced from ebay. I don't have the knowledge needed to completely re-engineer the electronics, and yes the clock that worked (I tried many, many different types, including buying existing clocks and pulling out the PCB's) was one sourced from China. The unit seemed well made, had battery back-up (something I knew would be useful) and a single button to adjust everything (two would have been ideal, but hay). Most importantly it had a small enough LE, something which had been very hard to find. At this point I just wanted a clock for my car and had no desire to make any more.

I built my first clock (blue, with the larger screen size) and fitted it to the car. I let Chris see the clock, and he was very impressed, and encouraged me to share my work with the wider community. So, I worked out a cost for the clock and posted details up on my bog (http://delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk...-delorean.html), as well as on here and the UK forums.

The cost I posted (which has been reduced a couple of times may I add) was £64 or $105. This included packaging and secure postage to the US, which worked out at about £20/$33. The cost of materials, the clock and laser cutting came to a about the same. This basically left me with about £28, or $45 for my labour. Each clock takes about an hour to cut, glue and assemble, and then there is the cost of going to the post office to send them out. Even if I had only one to send I still went straight away to the post office to make sure it got to the person as soon as possible. I wanted people to have the best experience possible. If people emailed with a question I tried to get back to them right away and try to help. I'm sure I did just that with you Shep.

Yes, the LED clock internals are from China, but hay so many things are. That doesn't mean they are "shit" or anything else derogatory. They were what I could find which Best fitted my original needs for the clock.

I have always been as up front about the clock as I can. As as for calling it a prototype, well the word comes from the Greek for first (proto) and model (typus). As a trained Product and Industrial Designer many prototypes are made around pre-made electrical circuits. I used the word correctly, and more importantly without any intention to mislead or "con" anyone. I made very little "profit" on each one, just enough to make it worth my while to actually do in the first place. I was, and still am, proud of the product that I made. It was created in the spirit of the community I believed I was part of.

I have been working on a replacement, which again uses a China sourced LED clock PCB, but with a 12H clock, voltage and temp sensor. However, maybe it is my time to bow out of this market. I don't need the kind of hassle shown by you Shep, it's not worth the small amount of "profit" I made. Rob V in Holland has his clock which he has built from scratch which looks to be very well engineered, well presented and an excellent contribution to the community. Of course his clock might also suffer from problems in the future. After all, any product is a "prototype" until its thoroughly tested in the real world. Will you then call his work "shitty" and "cheap" Shep, and drive him away from making items for the DeLorean community, so making that same community weaker as a result.

In the end a simple message to me would have resulted in answers to all these questions and an offer to help as much as I can.
    Last edited by flux3d; 09-16-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Club(s):  

In addition...

...... re-reading the posts again is it any surprise that Shep mentions two "rival" delorean clocks, Rob's and his own "GPS clock" in his first post?

Rob I'm sure would never stoop to slander tactics to make his clock look good. But Shep........

If people still want me to continue developing my clock then show your support and I will. If there isn't the call for it then I will bow out and concentrate on other projects.

Thanks guys for your support in advance.
    Last edited by flux3d; 09-16-2014 at 06:14 PM.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by flux3d View Post
    Thanks guys for your support in advance.
    I have a working OEM clock (which probably doesn't keep time nearly as well as your unit), so I'm not looking for a replacement, but just wanted to express that I think it is awesome that you took this project on. I see this more as a community service than anything else. The "profit" earned out of projects like this are seldom worth the hassle, which is typically why major vendors haven't taken them on themselves.

Whatever you decide to do with this project, please don't let the reason you abandon it be because of one bad customer experience. From what I read, everyone else seemed pleased with your clock.
    David Proehl

Club(s):  

Thanks David, very kind of you to say.

You are of course right about not giving up. If we all did that hardly any DeLoreans would be left in the world.

On a plus note I now have a 3D printer and scanner, so the quality of the casing can only get better. Plus, it opens up a whole world of other possible developments and products.

My VIN:    3937

I'm sorry too that you had to come back to the forum and read these comments, Mark.

My intention with mentioning my clock running a bit fast wasn't to spur on the comments from that guy. I hope you know that. I am happy with my clock and like others have said, it works better than the originals and much better than no clock. I never felt I got douped with the whole prototype mindset. I remember mine was fuzzy initially and you helped me work through why and correct it. If I was all hopping mad about it, you would have known. But like you've pointed out here, it would have come with a bit more tact. PM or otherwise. The comments that guy posted there came with a poor grasp of perspective unfortunately.

I think of it this way... do you care passionately about his work on his car or projects or whatever else? I am betting no. I don't care either. And with that in mind, I care very little if someone like that takes to having an opinion on what I'm doing. That sort of guy can have any opinion he wants, it doesn't concern me in the slightest.

....and yes, this could have been written in a PM, but I chose to put it here. How ya like them apples?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

forum members coming up with creative solutions like this is what makes this such a great community. I am sure that if you calculated all the time you put into this project, you probably made about $1.00 per hour!

I don't need a clock for my car, but if I did, you'd get my business. I love it when someone sees a problem, comes up with a creative solution, and then offers it to the community. Just like Dave M. with his amazing rpm relay, fan modules, and led panel. Dave didn't make the LED's, nor should he. But he put a much of them together in a very slick package! If you can source premade components, why not?

Great work. don't let the drama get to you.

ps, if it makes you feel any better, I think shep might have realized he was a little harsh and he posted a public apology here. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...highlight=shep

tony c

Club(s):  

So, nearly a year later.....

Well, it's been nearly a year since the whole "clock gate" sarga and my I thought I'd put an idea out to everyone. I now have access to a 3D printer, and was thinking about creating a new clock based around similar electronics as before. Indeed, similar to this clock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Blu...item4abaa780a9

Now, let me make it very clear, for fear of starting up another "flame him" thread, this would be me importing the clock electronics and putting them into a really nice, quality, perfect fitting, new clock module and selling it for about the same price as before. Yes, it would mean importing the PCB ect from China (which lets face it most companies do anyway), but after doing loads of research the electronics just can't be found anywhere in the UK or Europe for this, unless I order a bespoke PCB. If this is what you want then Rob has a clock which is made from the ground up and is also a great product. Looking at this module it would have:

12/24H functions.
    Volt meter
    temp sensor
    original style "two" button function.

But, would not have display dimming...

What do people think?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast