FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump not priming. Now what?

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Use the "RPM relay jumper" to test the pump circuit first.
    I really hate to sound like an idiot but what do you mean by "RPM relay jumper"? Jump the RPM relay entirely? How can i do that?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    ....Jump the RPM relay entirely? How can i do that?
    LINK: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1155

Dammit. It can just be a relay issue? I just replaced all my relays with the DMCH update kit. My new relay (in there now) is black and blue, the old relay was green and white. Think that makes a difference? Can relays fail that quickly?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Dammit. It can just be a relay issue? I just replaced all my relays with the DMCH update kit. My new relay (in there now) is black and blue, the old relay was green and white. Think that makes a difference? Can relays fail that quickly?
    For what it's worth, the black and blue should be a Bosch part, green and white were generic replacements.

Anything can fail unexpectedly at any time, but you won't know until you try.

Edit: You could also put back your green/white relay as a test. Brand is meaningless if one part is working and one isn't
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

So I played with the car for a bit but to no avail. It was raining so I didnt have a lot of time but I did manage to replace the RPM relay with the orignal that the car came with (green and blue - volvo) but had the same symptoms. I just dont get how this happened allof a sudden. This is one thing i DIDNT have a problem with. I guess Ill try to just put power to the pump to see if anything happens. Now its just a matter of time before I kill the battery by cranking it to death AAHHHH!

My VIN:    3299

In a recent thread, another owner had similar sounding issues here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7186-RPM-relay-issue

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see if one of the connectors on the RPM relay is pushed too far back and not making proper connection...?

Did you jumper the RPM relay's female connector and hear the fuel pump running?
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

So, I made my self a sweet little jumper and hooked it up to see what would happen. When I turned the car to the on position I still heard no "buzz" but the car tried to start and then stall out. It would never really run, it would start and run for about 2sec and shut right off. So I reinstalled the new (black and blue) relay and had the same symptoms. I guess I gotta try to see what power I get going to the pump. Other than that what do you guys think? Is it worth getting a new relay if I have tried two seperate relays? Im really reaching for straws now. Calling all experts ! So sorry to be a PITA.

My VIN:    03572

With the jumper on the RPM relay socket you don't need to turn the key to on, the pump should run as soon as you install the jumper.

If your pump is not running with the jumper, a new RPM relay will not help. You need to get a voltmeter and learn how to use it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I guess I gotta try to see what power I get going to the pump. Other than that what do you guys think?
    Run power straight off of the battery, as suggested, and be done with all of the guessing about the pump...
    FYI- There are small "+" and "-" marks on it, just match them up.

I finally got the car towed back to my house and was able to play with it a little bit. I checked out the wiring going to and from the pump and what a MESS! It looks like the PO rigged this up pretty bad, the wire going to the interia switch was cut and taped off. Just the w/p wire going to the pump was connected but very poorly (male spade is ready to come off) so I do not have a stock harness at least at the connector. The PO replaced the fuel pump and just has a black and red wires comin out of the pump (not the stock connector), I know i can get a new fuel pump harness from DMCH #106740 but I really dont know what to do about the wire coming from the front harness.. Its hard to see without dropping the tank but I would hate to have to replace the whole front harness for one connector. Is there any way to find the connector that comes from the harness (w/ both b/p and w/p wires) so I could just splice them together. Anyone have a old harness laying around that they can snip that connector off?? Can you buy them new without the whole harness?? Is it ok to just use the red (positive) wire from the pump and connect it to the white and purple wire coming from the harness without connecting the inertia switch?? Thanks for any help fellahs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast