FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Going on a Road Trip!

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Going on a Road Trip!

I am sitting in a coffee shop about two hours away from Detroit, MI, on my way to visit DMC Midwest a couple weeks early. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to attend the actual open house, so took the time I had and made arrangements to visit.

I have a part order waiting for me when I get there, and have some things I want to see planned along the way. I am scheduled home Sunday.

So far, after driving five hours straight, my car hasn't missed a beat. Keeping up with the flow of traffic (read: speeding to avoid my low ass from getting run over!) and A/C at a comfortable level, I am reminded again how much I enjoy taking this car on long trips.

I started this thread because I wanted a place to post pictures of things along the way, and just to document something I'm actually doing. I haven't been much of a poster as of late, but am enjoying my time away from the realities of my life. This may open me up a bit.

My VIN:    3937

Awesome Cory! A little birdie had mentioned to me you were doing some kind of road trip. Looking forward to hearing about the sites and seeing some pictures. If you felt like one of those photos could be your car in front of Shermer High School (aka the Illinois State Police Station formerly Main North High School) you would be officially my hero! (Second best would be bringing me home a powder coated rockscreen from Midwest in your trunk... hehe)

Have fun big guy!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    I am sitting in a coffee shop about two hours away from Detroit, MI, on my way to visit DMC Midwest a couple weeks early. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to attend the actual open house, so took the time I had and made arrangements to visit.

I have a part order waiting for me when I get there, and have some things I want to see planned along the way. I am scheduled home Sunday.

So far, after driving five hours straight, my car hasn't missed a beat. Keeping up with the flow of traffic (read: speeding to avoid my low ass from getting run over!) and A/C at a comfortable level, I am reminded again how much I enjoy taking this car on long trips.

I started this thread because I wanted a place to post pictures of things along the way, and just to document something I'm actually doing. I haven't been much of a poster as of late, but am enjoying my time away from the realities of my life. This may open me up a bit.
    If you make it over to the west side of Michigan (Holland area) let me know.

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

I passed an awesome sign on the way home from the Indy event. I didn't see it until it was too late. It was for a classic car museum up the road and it said "They're not just cars, they're time machines"
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

So to wrap this up, I have a few pictures of the new facility. Dave and Julee asked me to keep a couple of them under wraps until after the open house, which I agreed to.

Including my time just wandering around a small portion of northern Indiana, I put just shy of 2000 miles on my car from the Wednesday I started this thread to the Saturday immediately after. My only issue was watching my temp gauge go near 220 while sitting in Chicago rush hour traffic in both directions. If I want to spend more time in warmer climates like that, I'll need to see what more I can do....I already rebuilt my entire cooling system in 2010, with new rad (brass) and Toby fans, as well as his Otterstat replacement.

It wasn't a far move for them, but the new place is head and shoulders above where they were. Single level, larger facility in every facet of the operation. The area they moved to is also growing, so they are getting more exposure...there's a reason they don't park cars out front.

While I was there, I had a chance to drive Dave's personal car. It's equipped with a DMCEU power steering unit. It's a cross between an unassisted car and my daily driver, IMO. You don't need the assist once you're underway, but it's a good feeling to be able to turn the wheel with one finger at low speeds.

For all those attending the open house, you're going to have a great time. They're great people, offering incredible service to all of us in the community (often going out of their way to offer solutions without trying to sell us something). The new facility gives them room to grow and flourish.

DSC00744.jpgDSC00745.jpgDSC00750.jpgDSC00751.jpg

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Glad to hear you managed to make it down there, Cory. It looks like they have a great shop down there. Glad to hear your car made it there and back without any major issues.

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    My only issue was watching my temp gauge go near 220 while sitting in Chicago rush hour traffic in both directions.
    Did you try turning on the A/C? That runs both fans, doesn't it?
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    Did you try turning on the A/C? That runs both fans, doesn't it?
    Yes, both fans turn on while the compressor is running. And pushes all the hot ambient air plus the condenser heat exchange air right through the radiator