FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump failures

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Your current pump is on its way out. There are many things mentioned above that can cause a noisy pump, but it can very well be the pump itself. My old pump did the same thing...for over a year! whenever it got hot it hummed and if I kept driving, it would eventually stop altogether. I tried all the fixes, spring in the pickup hose, fresh gas when it made noise, making sure the pickup was not twisting due to improper pump reassembled, etc. Once during a fairly warm day while going over a mountain, she started groaning and finally crapped out. After it cooled down a bit it performed perfectly. I have previously dismissed the pump being the culprit since it always worked fine shortly after and I had been going on advice about this common problem being related to other things. 2 years ago, I finally realized this could be the pump itself and replaced with a DMC pump, (not hervey's junk) and its been fine ever since. I have even driven this car in 107 degree weather in stop and go traffic with no humming or noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ...gotta love the built-in level sending unit.... Way to go if you aren't worried about originality...

Do concours judges open up the fuel system to check?
    Last edited by Michael; 05-31-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Do concours judges open up the fuel system to check?
    LMAO -- Good question!

You really don't think anyone would cheat, do you?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The short answer is no. For a more comprehensive answer refer to the Millenium Concours Manual. Originality can only go so far. Do you have original gas, air in the tires, tires, battery, struts, etc? Of course not.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The short answer is no. For a more comprehensive answer refer to the Millenium Concours Manual. Originality can only go so far. Do you have original gas, air in the tires, tires, battery, struts, etc? Of course not.
    David Teitelbaum
    Let me extinguish this before it gets out of hand...I was joking.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    01067

Fuel pump

Thanks for the insight. Out of general curiosity, I think I will buy one of the DMC pumps and check out all connections. see how that fares. If it fails, I will pick up the new DMC unit. Fingers crossed

Air flow to the Fuel tank.

I've heard that some owners have a plate of something that forces air up to the fuel tank. Does anyone have this? Pictures? I guess the theories are that fuel is heated by air from the radiator fans, or hot fuel return. The first seems like the easier fix.
    ???

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dvfr750f View Post
    I've heard that some owners have a plate of something that forces air up to the fuel tank. Does anyone have this? Pictures? I guess the theories are that fuel is heated by air from the radiator fans, or hot fuel return. The first seems like the easier fix.
    ???
    You may be referring to the "hot air dam."

delorean-hot-air-dam-place.jpg

The picture is of John Hervey's, from his website.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    03572

???
    Yes I have the hot air dam. My feeling is it does nothing to cool the fuel in the tank. I do not have test data to prove or disprove that though.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

What about directing air up to it? I spoke with one of the guys at DMC CA and he seemed to think that you can direct fresh air up to the fuel tank to provide a cooling effect. THoughts?

My VIN:    06960

What about directing air up to it? I spoke with one of the guys at DMC CA and he seemed to think that you can direct fresh air up to the fuel tank to provide a cooling effect. THoughts?
    ??? Your choice of the words "seemed to think" implies that you either talked to someone who didn't know what they were talking about, or you've paraphrased it incorrectly.

That is really not possible. Half of the air entering the area is already heated by the radiator/condenser no matter what you do, and the other 50% is just there. The tank is surrounded by the frame. Not many parts are actually exposed to the free airflow, so any "cooling" would need to fight the already heated air from the radiator (concept of the "hot air damn"), then it would need to cool down the frame contacting the tank, then the tank itself which is made of plastic (already a decent insulator). The only real way of cooling the tank via convection would be the *very* small amount of heat transferred from the bottom of the tank through the closing plate, then to the free air stream below the car when traveling at a high velocity. And that already happens to every car.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast