FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternator Belt...Hervey.

My VIN:    4158

Alternator Belt...Hervey.

hey guys I have one of Hervey's Alternator (D120) but the belt he provided seemed too short and it broke within two weeks after install. (it was a bitch getting it on) it seemed like it was too wide too. So I bought the next width down and that did fine for a month or so. I noticed yesterday the belt was fraying a bit. Then today I drove it and looked at it and it was flipped over. The newer belt is the same length, but smaller width. I checked and nothing is getting in contact with the belt. Prior to the new alternator install, the original belt had been on for 10-12 years. Any suggestions, or anybody using a different belt of the Hervey D120? Thanks, guys.
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I use an 11A1230 belt (Gates) on my Hervey D120 alternator. Fits perfectly, the one he supplied with it (I think it was a 10AV1260) was too long.

Check out: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?65...-Belts-correct
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1768

Hervs alternators use a tiny pulley to get more charging power at idle, This mean the stock be its much too long and there isnt enough adjustment available and it cant get tight enough, so it heats up and fails. Also some belts cant handle that tight of a bend with the tiny pulley. Find another high quality and slightly short belt.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Hervs alternators use a tiny pulley to get more charging power at idle, This mean the stock be its much too long and there isnt enough adjustment available and it cant get tight enough, so it heats up and fails. Also some belts cant handle that tight of a bend with the tiny pulley. Find another high quality and slightly short belt.
    Like a Gates 11A1230!

Belts are one of those things not to cheap on, he's right....
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I use an 11A1230 belt (Gates) on my Hervey D120 alternator. Fits perfectly, the one he supplied with it (I think it was a 10AV1260) was too long.

Check out: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?65...-Belts-correct
    Ok, thanks. I'll start hunting it down. Is there a replacement from another manufacturer that might work as well?
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by darylfelsberg View Post
    Ok, thanks. I'll start hunting it down. Is there a replacement from another manufacturer that might work as well?
    You can go into any auto parts store and ask for that part number (it's really a size number more than anything), they'll likely have it - in whatever brand that store happens to carry. Gates is just a very good brand.
    Jon

Just looked back at my records - it's a Gates 7485 (that's the actual part number) - which is a 10A1230 (not 11A, typo above that I repeated)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GATA/7485.oap
    Jon

Perfect! Good work. When I did search the other number, I found some kick ass dryer and washing machine belts. Thanks.
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

My VIN:    3281, 6344

A bit of an aside, but my alternator belt (Gates 7485) shredded itself on a drive back from dinner last month. I was only a few miles from home, so I decided to start it up, gun it, kill the motor, coast, then repeat. The area is very hilly, so I could take advantage of the downhill stretches. This was also about 10:30 at night, so there was zero traffic out in the 'burbs (aside from one DeLorean with a fairly erratic driving style).

I was doing pretty well. My engine temp was in the safe zone (my primary concern), I was coasting down a nice hill with the engine off, and I even had my hazard lights on for good measure. I was now on the home stretch with only about a half mile to go... Then, just past Dolly Parton's house, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a blur of a car on a turn-out that had only its parking lights on. I can ID a squad car pretty quickly, even blazing a trail on a dark road with no lighting and no headlights on...

I didn't even border waiting for the blue lights before pulling over. Even in stealth mode, I knew that I was spotted. I was at the base of the hill and figured that while I was getting written up, at least I'd have a few minutes to let the engine cool a little more before the final surge home. The verdict: 55 in a 35 zone with no lights. Luckily, the officer must have felt sorry for me, because he let me off, wished me luck, and I was soon back to disregarding just a few more traffic signals and stop signs before getting the D was back to the garage. That was the ONLY ticket I've ever gotten out of in my life!

It turned out to be nothing other than a bad belt. And it wasnt too old, either. Lesson learned: carry a spare alternator belt. I used to, then took it out at some point. My theory is: with 10mm and a 13mm gear wrenches, a long flat blade screwdriver, and an alternator belt, you can either get going again, or you would be going home on a flatbed anyway.

Ok, back to the hockey game. Be careful out there.

Travis
    Last edited by tgraham; 06-08-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Good advice Travis. Extra belts are definitely a must have in any onboard emergency kit
    Jon