FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre things found in your car

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

I don't know, anyway, same kind of paper for the wall of your house.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    A PO installed "security system" that had a key hole in the driver side quarter panel to activate it. It had a shaker switch, killed the ignition when activated, and a motor driven siren. They system was partially deactivated before I bought the car. When turned on, the car wouldn't start and there was a switch next to the passenger window switch that activated the siren. Made for fun driving around with a siren. One night, a fuse for the system blew. I had the engine running, took the key out of the ignition, and the engine kept running.
    I'm guessing that's the car that had been sitting for years in the parking lot at an R&D firm in Glendale, CA and if not, then that would be the second one I've heard of with a key switch in the driver's rear quarter panel. The one in Glendale was owned by a woman named Margaret Minksy, the daughter of MIT Brainiac Marvin Minsky, and was in the lot being "stored" for nearly 15 years because one of the company's founders was an old boyfriend. When I went to work there back in 2013, I came close to buying it as she originally wanted something like $15k, but I eventually got her down to $9k - then most of us were laid off, so no DeLorean for me.

The cool stuff was there was a box full of DeLorean World magazines- roughly 20 or so IIRC sitting in the passenger footwell.

Greg

My VIN:    6861

A rib.

6861 had some water sloshing around in it's right pontoon. My mechanic cut a hole to drain it and found a big rib inside(sorry no picture).

My guess is a factory worker decided to place his lunch break leftovers inside before the pontoon was sealed for the next 31 years(it's an '81, but this was a few years ago now).

My VIN:    4941

I think that the front pontoons of a lot of D's are loaded with crap (dead mice, leaves, etc.) Has anyone else drilled a hole with a hole saw, and cleaned house? I also took a load of junk out of the bottom of my front fenders.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Oh my God where to even begin. The red paint job...luckily eliminated...unfortunately also found was that my DeLorean had clearly been in a side impact. Hence my doors and rear panels had to be replaced. After that, a weird cruise control setup that had been retrofitted. It didn't work anymore so I ripped it out, but I think there are still some random relays and such in the system I am afraid to remove. Lots of crazy wiring I cant ID. My rear interior lamp doesn't work right thanks to this. Quite a few mechanical changes...I really do not understand my dual spring setup in the rear of the car..and my front springs are cut down. Oh...and I have LCD readouts on the driver side kickpad that keep changing numbers and some switches...but they aren't connected to anything. And that's just the start...
    Attached Images

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Oh my God where to even begin. The red paint job...luckily eliminated...unfortunately also found was that my DeLorean had clearly been in a side impact. Hence my doors and rear panels had to be replaced. After that, a weird cruise control setup that had been retrofitted. It didn't work anymore so I ripped it out, but I think there are still some random relays and such in the system I am afraid to remove. Lots of crazy wiring I cant ID. My rear interior lamp doesn't work right thanks to this. Quite a few mechanical changes...I really do not understand my dual spring setup in the rear of the car..and my front springs are cut down. Oh...and I have LCD readouts on the driver side kickpad that keep changing numbers and some switches...but they aren't connected to anything. And that's just the start...
    I feel your pain. I have a VPA alarm installed with door solenoids to pop the doors open by remote. But the moron who installed it completely miswiried it. They got the interior lights confused with the clearance lights. So arming and disarming the car results in my interior lights blinking, and then my clearance lights are on a delay. But somehow between the external lights now having a 12V feed that would run back into the box because of the capaciator delay, and the dome light feed getting back-fed when I had the clearance lights running, the box would get constantly confused and then refuse to work. I guess it thought the doors were open or something... I just unplugged the module back then, but I'm not looking forward to dissecting and extracting the alarm's harness from my car's.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I'm guessing that's the car that had been sitting for years in the parking lot at an R&D firm in Glendale, CA
    Don't know how familiar you are with Glendale, but for years there was, I believe, a DeLorean parked over at Bistagne Brothers Body Shop on Chevy Chase & Verdugo.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Not really "weird" but still weird.

One single penny under the driver seat. The date on the penny is the year of my birth.

I guess this D was for me :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    07000

I was only familiar enough with it around the Grand Central area to parts of Burbank, as I was working there on Grand Central for about 6 months at a small R&D company. The one mentioned with the alarm key on the exterior had been parked there for nearly 12 or so year, as one of the owners of the company was a good friend of the DeLorean's owner. I came close to getting it for $9k but then most of us were laid off due to a few contracts getting cancelled.

My VIN:    10201

I found a key behind the drivers seat. I really wish I could know what it went to since it isnt a car or house key. I also found an insurance card for a 1960 Corvette. The consignment dealer said that the PO had 3 cars and the delorean was the last one to sell. Now i can see why. I wonder what the other car was.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Not really "weird" but still weird.

One single penny under the driver seat. The date on the penny is the year of my birth.

I guess this D was for me :-)

US or British penny?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast