FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: 2013 Matched Set (Non-Stock Sized Rears or Fronts) Tires

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Only place I could find the Nankang XR-611 offered in the 235/60R15 size:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...n&typ=R-227464

The matching 195/60R14 for the fronts are fairly easy to locate.

Perhaps someone looking for tires might want to contact Nankang about importing a few of the 235/60R15s for interested D owners???

Banned

As I've received a couple PMs about these, I just wanted to go on record that the Nankang NK Comfort XR-611 receives marginal to poor reviews (and is made in Taiwan), thus while they are being produced in stock/OEM sizes for a matching set, I still wouldn't personally recommend them or put them on my own car.

My personal endorsement still goes to the Vredestein Sportrac 5, even though you do have to drop the rears down to a 225.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I hear a lot of anecdotal comments from friends in the UK about how crappy Nankangs are. The phrase "Chinese Ditchfinders" is used often.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

I ordered a set of Cooper CS4's. The place wants to dispose of the factory rear tires, which look pretty good to me. The fronts were splitting, but no visible damage on the rears. Any reason to keep them? Is anyone out there looking for the Goodyear rears?

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    I ordered a set of Cooper CS4's. The place wants to dispose of the factory rear tires, which look pretty good to me. The fronts were splitting, but no visible damage on the rears. Any reason to keep them? Is anyone out there looking for the Goodyear rears?
    Goodyear NCTs in good condition have value to concours owners. If you post a for sale thread I bet they would sell. 5 years ago I found someone to give me $100 for my original rears.
    David Proehl

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Goodyear NCTs in good condition have value to concours owners. If you post a for sale thread I bet they would sell. 5 years ago I found someone to give me $100 for my original rears.
    To my personal amazement, of the 3 cars that entered the concours at DCS this year, I was the only one who was running the NCTs (and I actually put 900 miles on them getting to and from the show, not to mention drag raced with them on Thursday night). Ken K had NCTs on his car, but he didn't enter the concours (something about it having been judged too much already in the past and that he rarely if ever drives the thing, so it never changes).

Condition is everything with the NCTs - which BTW, the concours judges remarked that my NCTs were the 'nicest they had ever seen.' Of course, I think the coolest part is how I'm still willing to drive on them anywhere in the country

Ordinarily, I'd be interested in acquiring more excellent condition NCTs, but I'm currently sitting on 3 full sets as it is, and Texas is too far/expensive for me to ship from.

But if your NCTs are in good shape and have a decent amount of tread left on them - definitely offer them to the community, as someone will be sure to want them at some point.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 06-29-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I would, but that's your decision to make. If you do letters out, you could always use tire paint to create some letters on the front. Dave Graham is a big fan of RWL on our cars and did something like that on his car. I personally like both styles. What looks like ass is when you have just the fronts or rears in RWL, IMHO.

Hi!
    Is this DeLorean of the photo using 185/60r14 on front?

Matched set of tires

Hi all.
    I just acquired a 1981 DeLorean.
    It has been in a collection for the last several years, so I started looking for a new set of tires.
    About the only ones I found are General Tire AltiMAX RT45.
    Available in 195/60R14 and 225/60R15.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by rgehrig View Post
    Hi all.
    I just acquired a 1981 DeLorean.
    It has been in a collection for the last several years, so I started looking for a new set of tires.
    About the only ones I found are General Tire AltiMAX RT45.
    Available in 195/60R14 and 225/60R15.

If you're in the states the go to tire in Hankook kinergy ST they are matching stock sizes. One difference is that the back tires one side is black wall the other is mostly smooth with white lettering.
    I just got a set so I plan on putting the black too the outside and painting over the white lettering and that will go to the inside. The cheapest price is Walmart right now.

Good luck and congrats on the D.
    Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 12-18-2022 at 10:58 AM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    If you're in the states the go to tire in Hankook kinergy ST they are matching stock sizes. One difference is that the back tires one side is black wall the other is mostly smooth with white lettering.
    I just got a set so I plan on putting the black too the outside and painting over the white lettering and that will go to the inside. The cheapest price is Walmart right now.
    Yes, the Hankook Kinergy ST is the popular setup for matching F/R in North Am these days.

When they became available 2 yrs ago this thread started on the topic of these particular tires, including a way to deal with the raised white letters on the rears, as noted here. 50 posts on that topic now.

I've heard of no complaints except during some months in the first year when at least the rears were out of stock. Tirerack shows both sizes in stock today.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19