FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Tailight kit

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

LED Tailight kit

I am thinking of offering an LED Tailight kit: if I can get enough interest I have a source where I could offer the bulbs for less than 1/2 the price you would pay at superbrightleds.com
    The kit would include:

Qty:
    2. 1156 base Red 18 SMD TAILIGHT
    4. 1156 base Red 45 SMD BRAKELIGHTS
    2. 1156 Amber 45 SMD TURN SIGNALS
    2. 1156 Ice White 18 SMD REVERSE LIGHT

From superbrightleds.com it would cost $230
    If I can get enough interest I could supply the same LEDs in a kit for $100.00

The only item you would have to get on your own is a $12.95 flasher relay, so your LED turn signals will flash at a normal rate
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/782/836/
    5*9*

My VIN:    16409

I'd be interested without the reverse or turn signal lights. I'd like my brake and running light to have brighter LEDs than I currently have.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    2953

No pics?
    Matt
    Frostburg, MD

led brake light kit

interested.

My VIN:    06960

Do you already have these particular LEDs installed and tested? I'd maybe be interested, but since pictures are very hard to accurately represent LEDs vs incandescent, I'd like to see them in person before committing to them. Are you going to the DMCMW open house? I'm still just too skeptical on many drop in LEDs in our light housings due to the the design around the internal reflector. Also curious why the smaller bulb for the reverse lights? I have a curve in my driveway around a tree and I rely on my reverse lights illuminating behind me like mini-headlights.

I've pondered myself about making a newly designed taillight board with on-board forward-firing LEDs into an optical grade acrylic light pipe reaching into the housing and using a polished inverted cone to deflect all the light in a rewards pattern VERY closely approximating a typical incandescent bulb. I need to finish the new instrument cluster though before I'd branch out into anything else.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Also curious why the smaller bulb for the reverse lights? I have a curve in my driveway around a tree and I rely on my reverse lights illuminating behind me like mini-headlights.
    I'm 100% LED across the tail lights including the reverse lights. I don't know if I didn't notice it before, but when I'm in reverse now I find that while the white lights are sufficient for someone behind to see that I'm in reverse, they are not sufficient to light up the area so that I can see where I'm going. I've been thinking about a solution to improve the white light from the back of the car while reversing - the wildest idea being to modify the LEDs in my 3rd brake light to be RED on braking and WHITE on reversing - but that would take some fun with electronics.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    5180

I have 45 SMD's in all locations except the tail light which is SMD 18.
    These newer SMD unit are way better those what used to be offered.
    No more hot spot's

All of the lights are significantly brighter than stock. I never realized how wimpy the rear lighting is until you drive behind a caravan of deloreans.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5*9*

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Do you already have these particular LEDs installed and tested? I'd maybe be interested, but since pictures are very hard to accurately represent LEDs vs incandescent, I'd like to see them in person before committing to them. Are you going to the DMCMW open house? I'm still just too skeptical on many drop in LEDs in our light housings due to the the design around the internal reflector. Also curious why the smaller bulb for the reverse lights? I have a curve in my driveway around a tree and I rely on my reverse lights illuminating behind me like mini-headlights.

I've pondered myself about making a newly designed taillight board with on-board forward-firing LEDs into an optical grade acrylic light pipe reaching into the housing and using a polished inverted cone to deflect all the light in a rewards pattern VERY closely approximating a typical incandescent bulb. I need to finish the new instrument cluster though before I'd branch out into anything else.
    I do. They are significantly brighter than stock and illuminate the whole lense housing. I won't be at the open house unfortunately, but I believe DMC5180 will be and you can see his to tell the difference. The smaller amount of LEDs for the reverse lights are merely a personal preference. They still do the job better than stock of making those behind you aware.
    5*9*

My VIN:    06960

I'll get a good look at Dennis's car at the open house then. If I like what I see you can count me in as interested then, but I'd *really* prefer the brighter one for the reverse lights.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Something I was wondering about - we had a car in here with all LED tail lights. Also had an aftermarket radio and rear power antenna. Hitting the brakes, turn signals etc. the LEDs threw so much trash into the electrical system that it would blank the FM radio on brakes, and significantly interfere with it with just takil lights or backups.

Anyone else seen this?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast