FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Tailight kit

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    Yep, I have aftermarket stereo with a power amplified HIDDEN antenna (not a rear power antenna), along with 3rd LED brake light with a flasher unit. I *think* most of my static/noise is from the flasher unit or the power amplified antenna. I have not yet troubleshot it yet, but I'm going to start with the antenna since I don't get good reception with it anyway.
    I have a flasher unit on the third brake light also, but I haven't noticed any static/noise from it. I would imagine you would only get noise from the flasher unit when it is activated?
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Do not get your LEDs from superbright. You are WAY overpaying.
    +1. amazon also has a decent selection, and some are available through prime.

however, for a crazy wide selection, check out DealExtreme... their prices are half of SuperBright and the shipping is free--the only caveat is that it comes on the slow boat from china (literally), so expect a couple weeks for shipping time.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Do not get your LEDs from superbright. You are WAY overpaying. Get these - I have them installed in my car and are great. Nick (LS1) has seen them, and I am confident he'd vouch that they're outstanding.

Red ones for brake and running:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380244724020...84.m1423.l2649

Amber for turn signals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GP-Thunder-1...item5d27ade5fd

White for reverse lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GP-Thunder-1...item1c1dc45839

Send them a message and explain you want to combine shipping; they did it for me. Took about a week to get all my lights in the mail.

Just ONE....ONE LED from SuperBright is $20 before shipping. You can get all the red bulbs you need (6) for $15 before shipping.

I'll take video for anyone who wants to see before they buy.
    I thought I was getting a good deal, These prices are obviously the way to go. Im going to call off the kit. Can't compare. Damn free market lol
    5*9*

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by DMCflux View Post
    I thought I was getting a good deal, These prices are obviously the way to go. Im going to call off the kit. Can't compare. Damn free market lol
    No problem, bud! Hope I didn't shoot you down or anything; I just didn't want to see you or anyone else pay those kind of prices. Just think, all the money you save, you can buy other goodies for your DeLorean !
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

No problem, bud! Hope I didn't shoot you down or anything; I just didn't want to see you or anyone else pay those kind of prices. Just think, all the money you save, you can buy other goodies for your DeLorean !
    I totally understand, thank you!
    5*9*

My VIN:    03572

There are many LED chips that far outperform other LED chips. Usually the best on the market cost the most. So make sure your happy with a bulb before you invest in a large inventory. You really want to see some specifications before you buy but most of those china units don't offer specifications.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm really interested in this!! I only have one quetstion that you may or may not be able to answer. I've got the audiovox cruise control and it kicks off with the brake light circuit. When I installed it about 5 years ago, I had LED brake lights and it caused issues requiring me to switch back to incandescent bulbs. I assume it had to do with the high resistance of the LEDs leading to the very low current draw, not being a strong enough to trip the system.

That being said, any idea what the current draw is on these and how it compares to an incandescent bulb? Also any idea if the LEDs are bipolar? I'm probably down for a kit either way but it would definitely be nice knowing whether or not they'll work with the CC. Even if not I may still be able to rig something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I'm really interested in this!! I only have one quetstion that you may or may not be able to answer. I've got the audiovox cruise control and it kicks off with the brake light circuit. When I installed it about 5 years ago, I had LED brake lights and it caused issues requiring me to switch back to incandescent bulbs. I assume it had to do with the high resistance of the LEDs leading to the very low current draw, not being a strong enough to trip the system.

That being said, any idea what the current draw is on these and how it compares to an incandescent bulb? Also any idea if the LEDs are bipolar? I'm probably down for a kit either way but it would definitely be nice knowing whether or not they'll work with the CC. Even if not I may still be able to rig something up.
    Nick, here are the specs on the LEDs I was going to supply:

Product Specifications
    Base 1156 Beam Pattern 360 degree
    LED Amount 45 LEDs
    Lifetime 30000 Hours Lumen (Max) 220 Lumen
    Operating Temperature -35~+85 °C Polarized Yes
    Storage Temperature -40~+100 °C
    Operating Voltage 10~30 VD
    5*9*

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

Nicholas, you have to add a relay to the brake light switch that provides a ground signal when the brake is used for cruise control to work. The wiring is easy. Just look up leds audiovox cruise control relay on google.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I have 45 SMD's in all locations except the tail light which is SMD 18.

All of the lights are significantly brighter than stock. I never realized how wimpy the rear lighting is until you drive behind a caravan of deloreans.
    Is the SMD18 tail-light brighter than the stock brake lights?

I assume you didn't use the SMD45 in the taillight as it would look like you were permanently braking
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast