FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New stainless steel roof structure instalation tips.

My VIN:    3296

Club(s):   (PNDC)

New stainless steel roof structure instalation tips.

Hey everyone, I will soon be installing a new stainless roof structure from DMC Europe on my Delorean. I have been calling several of the Delorean shops and asking for advice. Only DMC Texas seems to have actual experience out of the shops I called. My main concerns were which adhesive to use and if I had to support the body in any special way prior to gluing. They recommenced I use 3M Pannel Bond adhesive, it seems like a good choice. And that I should support the roof near the front windshield. Apparently the Texas shop has an original jig used during production to support the roof during roof structure and windshield installation.

I was just wondering if any of you-guys here have experience on the subject and if you can provide me with some extra information I should know (Maybe even a picture of this roof jig). The body is fixed to the frame and the original glass is still in place. I have everything here ready to go for the process. I got all the parts and my roof is finished and ready. I just need the adhesive and the courage to complete this one chance step properly.

I do happen to have another Delorean here which is still mostly put together. I will be taking measurements from it and try to recreate those dimensions on my body prior to gluing.

Thank you.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

No two roofs are the same. I helped Cliff Schmucker with this project and it was very involved. It involved a lot of grinding of old fiberglass and adhesive, and some modifications to the stainless roof structure itself. Maybe the part has been improved since Cliff and I did this several years back. I would use the 3M panel bond as well as the carriage bolt method of holding the roof in place.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    No two roofs are the same. It involved a lot of grinding of old fiberglass and adhesive, and some modifications to the stainless roof structure itself. Maybe the part has been improved since Cliff and I did this several years back.
    Alright, I probably will have to modify my new roof structure as well. I laid it on my roof a while ago and the clearances were not that great. The middle rear portion of the part looked to have over a half inch clearance. Do you think it would be a good idea to try and recreate the dimensions found on my other Delorean then?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We have done more than I care to remember here. There isn't a one size fits all on this without modifications to the fitment. My solution is an undersized unit that we fit into place once everything is cleaned up from the original box. We then modify the dxf file after taking measurements on car with the undersized unit. This allows for a tighter fit and less of taking up space with panel 60. Of course the box must be secured with fasteners as well.

I don't bother with marking the doors anymore and just start from scratch. Too much changes once you have removed the box. We pull the windscreen as well and install a home made jig because hammering on the box puts a lot of stress on the glass.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    We have done more than I care to remember here. There isn't a one size fits all on this without modifications to the fitment. My solution is an undersized unit that we fit into place once everything is cleaned up from the original box. We then modify the dxf file after taking measurements on car with the undersized unit. This allows for a tighter fit and less of taking up space with panel 60. Of course the box must be secured with fasteners as well.

I don't bother with marking the doors anymore and just start from scratch. Too much changes once you have removed the box. We pull the windscreen as well and install a home made jig because hammering on the box puts a lot of stress on the glass.
    So I guess all this means that I should just do my best, make it fit well and see if it turns out ok?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Furry_DeLorean View Post
    So I guess all this means that I should just do my best, make it fit well and see if it turns out ok?
    You are very positive, I like the attitude. To me it means it is very tedious, time consuming, and frustrating haha.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Well I guess Ill hop to it then. Gana order some 3M Panel Bond adhesive and the dispenser gun. Ill start the project next weekend. This weekend I need to make a new pair of wooden bulkheads for behind the seats. My originals were nasty and rotten, Ill install those with the 3M adhesive shortly before I begin installing the roof structure. Sure hope it all works out.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Furry_DeLorean View Post
    Well I guess Ill hop to it then. Gana order some 3M Panel Bond adhesive and the dispenser gun. Ill start the project next weekend. This weekend I need to make a new pair of wooden bulkheads for behind the seats. My originals were nasty and rotten, Ill install those with the 3M adhesive shortly before I begin installing the roof structure. Sure hope it all works out.
    FWIW, Cliff had to make a few strategic cuts in the stainless roof panel, bend it, and re-weld the cuts to make the panel fit better. Literally every car is different as is every stainless roof section. Keep us posted and take lots of pictures!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    FWIW, Cliff had to make a few strategic cuts in the stainless roof panel, bend it, and re-weld the cuts to make the panel fit better. Literally every car is different as is every stainless roof section. Keep us posted and take lots of pictures!
    Wow, I've been gone a long time. Sorry about that. Anyway, the install went great. I did end up having to make several cuts, bends and welds to get it to fit just right. And now that it's been over three years since I performed this task (can't believe it) I can gladly say that the 3M Panel bond is still holding firm. I'll post a youtube video which includes this install once I finish it.