FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SPLIT: NO ILLUMINATION on Headlight/Hazard/Instrument Cluster/Cig Lighter...

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

SPLIT: NO ILLUMINATION on Headlight/Hazard/Instrument Cluster/Cig Lighter...

This is driving me absolutely bonkers guys. I am splitting from my earlier thread because I now have more specific info (and one symptom was incorrect in previous thread). I am great at certain things, but my knowledge and understanding of the electrical stuff on a DeLorean is not that good at all - so bear with me. I might be over-explaining this for a simple solution. I am praying I don't have to take the console out again to fix this - I did it twice today already.

Preface... This all happened after I took the console and console bracket out to do a couple of things: One was to replace the AC Mode Switch, two was to wrap up the unused light sockets that illuminate the AC panel because I made one that uses LEDs and only need one power tap off one of the sockets (and as mentioned below, the AC panel lights just fine). And third thing is I did some "clean-up" and wrapped some messy wiring up.

So... What works: Headlight switch works, hazards work, the AC panel lights up, shifter selector light works (auto trans), and there is power to the cigarette lighter.

And... What doesn't work: Headlight and hazard switch illumination, cigarette lighter illumination, and instrument cluster illumination.

Also... Things I have checked: All grounds that bolt to the console bracket have been cleaned and secured. I see no wires I could have left off of ground. No loose plugs or wires, and no unconnected wires that were not previously connected before taking the console apart (although I did remove a pink wire that went nowhere from the rheostat). Headlight relay was checked and even replaced with an extra. I have not checked any fuses because I assume the AC panel lights share the applicable fuse and the AC panel lights just fine. Help! Many thanks in advance - And especially for reading my novice diagnostic attempt.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    This is driving me absolutely bonkers guys. I am splitting from my earlier thread because I now have more specific info (and one symptom was incorrect in previous thread). I am great at certain things, but my knowledge and understanding of the electrical stuff on a DeLorean is not that good at all - so bear with me. I might be over-explaining this for a simple solution. I am praying I don't have to take the console out again to fix this - I did it twice today already.

Preface... This all happened after I took the console and console bracket out to do a couple of things: One was to replace the AC Mode Switch, two was to wrap up the unused light sockets that illuminate the AC panel because I made one that uses LEDs and only need one power tap off one of the sockets (and as mentioned below, the AC panel lights just fine). And third thing is I did some "clean-up" and wrapped some messy wiring up.

So... What works: Headlight switch works, hazards work, the AC panel lights up, shifter selector light works (auto trans), and there is power to the cigarette lighter.

And... What doesn't work: Headlight and hazard switch illumination, cigarette lighter illumination, and instrument cluster illumination.

Also... Things I have checked: All grounds that bolt to the console bracket have been cleaned and secured. I see no wires I could have left off of ground. No loose plugs or wires, and no unconnected wires that were not previously connected before taking the console apart (although I did remove a pink wire that went nowhere from the rheostat). Headlight relay was checked and even replaced with an extra. I have not checked any fuses because I assume the AC panel lights share the applicable fuse and the AC panel lights just fine. Help! Many thanks in advance - And especially for reading my novice diagnostic attempt.
    Hey Matt,

It's a blown fuse. I went through the exact same thing when converting to LEDs. Thank Jon for this fix.

It's fuse 8 and the reason why it will blow is because the LED has metal contacts that wrap fully around the base of the LED. Take your fingernail and gently pull the contact out until its sticking straight out. Now take some small wire cutters and cut the contact just behind the plastic LED hub. Now you'll have the lead only in one side instead of wrapping fully around.

Making contact on both sides of the socket shorts the circuit out and blows the fuse.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Hey Matt,

It's a blown fuse. I went through the exact same thing when converting to LEDs. Thank Jon for this fix.

It's fuse 8 and the reason why it will blow is because the LED has metal contacts that wrap fully around the base of the LED. Take your fingernail and gently pull the contact out until its sticking straight out. Now take some small wire cutters and cut the contact just behind the plastic LED hub. Now you'll have the lead only in one side instead of wrapping fully around.

Making contact on both sides of the socket shorts the circuit out and blows the fuse.
    This advice only applies to the LEDs inside the head light and warning light switches, not to other LEDs used.
    Be aware of the fact that LEDs are polarized, that is, power and ground do matter (it's a 50/50 change putting it in correctly).
    If not lit when a LED ought to be ON, change its position in the socket.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Hey Matt,

Thanks! This solves the the headlight switch illumination issue. I switched back to the regular bulbs in both switches until this issue is solved. One down, 3 more problems to go! It seems now that certain things triggered by pushing the headlight switch is plain dead - Hazard/Instrument Cluster/Cigarette Lighter illumination. Not too keen on driving without the instrument cluster illumination... Could this be something in the switch itself causing certain things not to illuminate?

Update: I put a brand new relay in for the headlights and the cigarette illumination came on. I have NO clue whether this actually had anything to do with it working now. The hazard and instrument cluster illumination is still out. One extra thought: Could the LED shorting in the Hazard Switch have blown something else? Causing the loss to Hazard/Instrument Cluster...?

Also, want to be sure the rheostat is hooked up right... I labeled the wires when I took it apart so those are in right order, but I chucked a pink wire that went on the 2nd prong because it didn't connect to anything. Is this correct?
    Last edited by kajcienski; 06-11-2013 at 10:03 AM.

My VIN:    3299

Are you 100% sure you put the wires back on the rheostat in the correct order? If they are not in the correct order, you may lose instrument cluster illumination. I am darn sure this happened to me at one point too.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

On the rheostat, there should be five wires configured in three connections (two double wires and a single wire) Two sets of double Red/Orange and a single Red/White (which may look pink). It is this last one that is connected to the panel illumination.

What do you mean by "it doesn't go anywhere"?

The rheostat is item 24 on the schematic.
    Last edited by Dangermouse; 06-11-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

And the award for world's biggest bonehead goes to... Wait for it... Wait for it... MOI! After changing out the #8 fuse that was blown, I forgot to hook the rheostat wires back up after that. All AOK! By the way, the pink wire on pin 2 of the rheostat was for a radio dimmer, hence was not connected to anything. Wow, this was embarrassing. However the LED info was extremely helpful along with fuse #8. Thanks as always guys!

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    And the award for world's biggest bonehead goes to... Wait for it... Wait for it... MOI! After changing out the #8 fuse that was blown, I forgot to hook the rheostat wires back up after that. All AOK! By the way, the pink wire on pin 2 of the rheostat was for a radio dimmer, hence was not connected to anything. Wow, this was embarrassing. However the LED info was extremely helpful along with fuse #8. Thanks as always guys!
    Glad it was something simple !
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That's funny because I just put in a radio that had a pink wire but nowhere to connect it to
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast