FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DMC shipping to canada fees

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. I think I did post something in a thread somewhere about my shipping experience. I also posted on the Ontario DeLorean Owners Club facebook page, which was easier for me to find, so here is a cut and paste of it:

Good evening ODOCers, I learned a valuable lesson this afternoon that I thought I should share for anyone ordering parts. UPS hit me up for $72 in "import charges" on a $400 order, so a rather significant amount. I had a talk with a VERY useful UPS rep. and here are her tips:

1) Ship air, or 2nd day air, it cuts out a large portion of the brokerage fee.
    2) Keep it to 7 line items or less. They cover the first 7 for free, but after that it's something like $7 per line item! I had 13
    3) Specify the year of the vehicle the parts are for in addition to tariff code 9966.00.00.00 and there will be no tax charged.

I knew about the first one, and DMCMW knew about the tariff code (but maybe not about specifying year). If I'd been 3 for 3, I was told I would have only been charged $10!

Hope that helps, but if there are any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck with the order!
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Is it possible to group the parts into line items called "repair kits".

You know, group injectors, plugs, filters, whatever, and call it a "tune-up kit". Brake and suspension components as a "brake repair kit".
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Is it possible to group the parts into line items called "repair kits".

You know, group injectors, plugs, filters, whatever, and call it a "tune-up kit". Brake and suspension components as a "brake repair kit".
    It definitely could be possible. I think right now we are just trying to learn what you can and can't do by speaking with UPS. There very well could be ways to manipulate the system, but we were trying to focus on what ways we can do things and make everyone happy, and keep it by the book. I know I got chastized for saying something like that a while back, but the fact that certain people make decisions on how to run their business by being ethical and legit is a big reason why I do business with those people. Call it karma, or whatever you want, but knowing the rules and sticking to them is a good way to go in my opinion. Most of us putting one order in here and there don't appreciate the consequences of getting caught or getting audited. We get to walk away and do something else. Vendors don't have this luxury. Get caught once and you just made your life very difficult for years to come.

I definitely know that's not what you meant by your suggestion, Dermot. I hope you know what I mean. It just gets old hearing stories or complaints of extra fees when their alternative was to try and cheat the system. Most of what we are after is consistency and knowing what the charges are in advance. The challenge I have found is many UPS folks don't what this classification business is all about either. So your explanation from one rep could tell you one thing, but if a different rep processes your paperwork and they interpret things another way, you could get a big surprise on your invoice. Again, learn what the rules are and plan accordingly. Seems everyone threw out their copy of the rulebook though!

I know the vendors I have been working with would love a definitive answer on this as much, or even more than we do.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5439

Anytime I need parts shipped to Canada I always make sure that DMC ships USPS only. UPS and FexEx are the worst. There have been a few times when I bought over $300 worth of parts shipped USPS and never had to pay duty fees.

Another method I use is having parts shipped to a parcel service store in the US, drive there to pick em up (fill up on cheap gas) then bring them back myself across the border. I will get taxed HST crossing the border but no other crazy charges.

It's weird tho, it depends on the border guard. One time he asked me how much I'm bringing to Canada and this happened:

"How much are all your goods?"

"$450 sir."

"That's quite high for a day trip, have a nice day."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Anytime I need parts shipped to Canada I always make sure that DMC ships USPS only. UPS and FexEx are the worst. There have been a few times when I bought over $300 worth of parts shipped USPS and never had to pay duty fees.

Another method I use is having parts shipped to a parcel service store in the US, drive there to pick em up (fill up on cheap gas) then bring them back myself across the border. I will get taxed HST crossing the border but no other crazy charges.

It's weird tho, it depends on the border guard. One time he asked me how much I'm bringing to Canada and this happened:

"How much are all your goods?"

"$450 sir."

"That's quite high for a day trip, have a nice day."

Agreed x100 on the USPS vs FedEx and UPS.
    Never drove across the border to pick up, but from what I heard that sounds right. There might be a total price limit on how much you can bring back without issue, but not sure what it is.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

What you spend and pay duty on is totally up to the CBSA guards discretion. Sometimes they want duty on $150 in car parts, sometimes they don't care if you spend $750. I've got nexus and there is absolutely no consistency.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

I usually have great success with USPS, but they're not 100% either. I've been hit up with similar sized "import charges" with USPS. But on averages, FAR less often than with UPS or FedEx.
    - Devon

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    I usually have great success with USPS, but they're not 100% either. I've been hit up with similar sized "import charges" with USPS. But on averages, FAR less often than with UPS or FedEx.
    USPS was a great price until this year for over the boarder shipping. Price shot up this year 2 to 3 times for first class mail. It still is cheaper than other shipping options so far.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    USPS was a great price until this year for over the boarder shipping. Price shot up this year 2 to 3 times for first class mail. It still is cheaper than other shipping options so far.
    I believe we're referring to the additional fees charged on our end for crossing the board. Not the actual cost of the initial shipping.
    - Devon

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Lots of great information in this thread. Thank you very much for the speadsheet Jon! This gives a little more confidence moving forward with future orders. Also In response to some, even tho I hate fees at the border, I am not interested in tricking them by not claiming items. Been there, done that. If they catch you your gonna wish you just claimed everything properly!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast