FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing the car?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Really interesting, the different perspectives on this. I knew it was personal but it seems like we're all over the map!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Black to black

Get some of that cleaner/sealer made just for the black trim on your car. Several brands out there at auto parts stores. Armor All tends to leave streaks running down the SS in rain.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Yes, it's funny that most people are all anti-Armor All and then Jack appears and recommends it and suddenly I am reconsidering it. He's done more miles than all of us combined so any advice on upkeep is golden.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Yes, it's funny that most people are all anti-Armor All and then Jack appears and recommends it and suddenly I am reconsidering it. He's done more miles than all of us combined so any advice on upkeep is golden.
    You tell 'em, 'Mouse
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    6679

I don't get the anti-AmorAll thing either, never heard it until I came to is forum, but I'm a big fan of it. Have always used it on my cars religiously since new and years later they are in absolute fantastic condition, so happily use it on my DeLorean without issue.
    Chris

Lightbulb

Ever since I got into cars, I've been told to steer clear of Armorall. Not because it damages the interior, but because it evaporates an leaves an oily residue on the windscreen.

Guitarman on this Lexus forum seems to have a pretty good idea on this "anti Armorall" thing.
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/auto...-armorall.html
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 06-11-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Personally I hate the super-shiny look traditional Armor-All gives (or what I assume is what used car salesmen use on their products) It has a slick, slippery feel that I really don't like. Having said that, I use the "matte finish" Armor-All products on modern plastics in my DD as they do give a nice finish. As I am not keeping them for 10 years, I'm not so concerned about any long term effects.

When I get my new dash, I will certainly consider it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I once had to take my car out for a quick show-and-tell. I was behind schedule and didn't have time to go to the store to buy "Back to Black" or whatever, so I used black shoe polish on the black trim bits. It worked great, but of course the effect was only temporary. When I think about it, it was good to have on hand in a pinch, but given most folks' choice of footwear I doubt that a lot of people just happen to have a can of black shoe polish sitting around these days.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    04915

It's easy to understand why folks don't like Armor All ... if it's not applied correctly. Here's the drill I use:

I use the liquid in a bottle and have not tried the wipes. On the black part I'm working on I use a clean soaked
    rag and apply liberally and give it a little time to 'soak in'. Then I use a clean, dry towel to do my best to rub it off.
    If it's applied and not rubbed off it leaves a residue that is definitely undesirable. Further, if I'm doing a small area, the
    little side vents or the air intakes or the little black circle around the keyhole it's practically impossible to apply the
    Armor All without getting it on the SS. On these parts I spray Windex on the part and vigorously wipe it down until it's dry.
    I use Armor All inside the car as well. However I don't use it on the dash; I don't put anything on the dash except wipe it down
    with a water dampened towel. Why? Any kind of protectorant on the dash makes it reflective in the windshield making it
    hard to see when the sun is right.

The next time you are in Autozone or Wal-Mart look how many brands of protectorant there are ... there are so many
    because it's 'different strokes for different folks' ... select the one you like ... I'm sure it'll be ok.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have tried a bunch of different products.

In the end...

Wash with regular "car washing" detergent and warm water.
    Dry thoroughly.
    Then go over the entire car with SS Glow from the DMC vendor of choice. It works on the stainless as well as all the painted bits, fascias, louvers, and even the black plastic parts like the side vents.
    I wide it on with a lint free cloth and then wipe the excess off with an old cotton diaper. The SS Glow is very oily so you have to keep wiping and turning the diaper until you get most of it off.

I have also used 303 Aerospace on the black parts but it takes multiple treatments and still doesn't richen the color on the bumpers, louvers, and side vents like the SS Glow does.

I also use the Bar Keeper's Friend before big shows, etc. Really makes the stainless glow.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast