FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Origin of "cocaine in the doors"?

My VIN:    2848

Origin of "cocaine in the doors"?

Anybody have any idea where the origin of the "Cocaine in the doors" legend came from. I have heard it forever but was curious if anybody knows where the story started.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    6125

I just assumed it was a bad rumor that started after the cocaine bust video was leaked. Juicy misinformation like that has an odd way of spreading until it becomes widely known. Kinda like how people think DeLorean is still in jail. I don't think the cocaine in the cars rumor is limited to inside just the doors either. I've heard people mention inside the fuel tank and behind fenders also.

Unfortunately today after a year and a half of working on my car the first comment I got on the maiden voyage was from some douche in an old rusty pontiac... he pulled up next to me at a light and motioned for me to roll the window down. All I heard was blah blah blah cocaine blah blah. I just shook my head and rolled up the window. His teenage kid in the passenger seat looked a bit embarrased for his rude father.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Probably from the two (2) kilos I found packed in my doors

Like Mark said, it's most likely an urban legend that resulted from the FBI undercover cocaine trafficing sting against JZD.

My VIN:    3299

I had some guy tonight at a cruise in ask me "Have you checked your tires lately?" I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about, and finally he tried to tell me there might be some "special goodies" waiting for me.

At that point, I politely but firmly went something like "Oh, I see, you're trying to ask me if I've found any drugs in the car. The car was not used for drug transportation". To which he replied with a smirk on his face "Aw, come on man, yes they were." To which I replied, "No, no they were not." To which he replied something like "Yes they were." To which I shut him down politely and said "No, there's no basis behind that. That is a horrible rumor with no facts behind it. JZD knew people who wanted him to be the middleman for a trade of drugs and money between two separate parties. I will give you that; he was going to be the middle man for a drug deal and keep some money for himself. But he was not a drug dealer, and the cars were not transportation for drugs into the US. Those are rumors with no facts to back them up".

At that point, I think he knew "Uh oh, I better leave that alone..." and he asked me the polite questions about the engine, how long I've owned it, etc." He was much more polite after that (: .
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

1. Develop a smirk and stare.
    2. Repeat the following line:

"Seriously, if you're gonna tell me car facts about MY car and the company that i know the true facts about, at least make sure your information is accurate before making moronic comments."
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    3937

Holy crap... yesterday must have been "Annoying DeLorean-coke-joke" day and no one told us. Could have sworn I didn't see that on my calendar. Or maybe it was the same guy and he gets around the continent REALLY fast.

I've heard the wheels/rims version too. Which is even more stupid if the guy thinks you've been driving a car with a few pounds of unbalanced weight in your rims. Strange how he looks at you like you're supposed to be taking him seriously when it is just so ridiculously dumb to actually be true.

But why question something like that? Urban legends, etc. If you read it on the Internet or heard your buddy or neighbor tell you about it, it has to be true, right?? Seems to apply to a heckuva lot more than just DeLorean stuff... I think people would rather just hear something dramatic or strange or fear mongering and repeat it before even thinking of researching it. I think I like Mike's idea though... in a calm/non-confrontational way with no swear words, that basically let's the guy know he's an obnoxious bafoon.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

"To whoever bought a Delorean out there, your refund is in the trunk" - Johnny Carson
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Quote Originally Posted by EdR5150 View Post
    "To whoever bought a Delorean out there, your refund is in the trunk" - Johnny Carson
    Heh heh heh...

I'm sure my snack bags, filled with confectioner's sugar and stuck into the car's window vent holes at shows don't help.
    1-800-273-8255

Quote Originally Posted by EdR5150 View Post
    Wow... knowing that Carson was a personal friend and got an early car himself, I'm surprised at how quickly he turned on him.

My VIN:    06960

Well, the car turned on Carson pretty quick. Just returning the favor?
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast