FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Origin of "cocaine in the doors"?

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post
    Wow... knowing that Carson was a personal friend and got an early car himself, I'm surprised at how quickly he turned on him.
    Sort of like shock jocks on the radio, nothing and no one is off limits. His livelihood depends on being the funny guy, so instead of being all down and out about the car, it was probably a pretty funny way to laugh off the situation. If a $500,000 investment of mine went in the toilet, I'm not sure I'd be too quick to laugh about it either. In context, it was likely part of his routine on the show. Not sure, but that would be my guess.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3045

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I've only heard one cocaine reference from an old guy in a crowd during a parade that yelled at me "Where's the cocaine?" The people around him looked at him puzzled as they didn't understand his question.

I proudly display my "Dealer" poster in the garage next to my DeLorean but the only people that see that are my family and friends and they just laugh at it.
    Does it have a flux capacitor?
    Does it run on 1.21 Giggawatts?
    Have you been chased by terrorist?

No but I have been chased by ladies because it’s a chick magnet!

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This was front page news when it broke, and Johnny was personally connected. Everyone expected Carson to at least make a few jokes, so he was only doing his job. The joke got repeated many, many times, and people probably began to believe it. I think I've had someone ask me if I checked the trunk.

I haven't read all the books, or read all interviews and articles. Was the media alleging the cars were to be used as transportation?
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Good point Eddie. I thought it was only ever to do with the money laundering side and not the drugs themselves? The whole FBI sting operation that is.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

In Cheech Marin voice:
    sniff, sniff....sniff... what coke man?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    In Cheech Marin voice:
    sniff, sniff....sniff... what coke man?
    You know, this might be the best direction to go with things. Just play along with the idiocy. If none of what you say to each other matters, then might as well have some fun with it!

Like you could act all startled and nervous and say "shoosh man, don't say that so loud... you'll get me busted!"

My VIN:    6585

Commonly drugs are of course smuggled in door panels and other hidden spots on cars of course.

I've heard from a couple of people over the years that there was a shipment of Datsuns that came over from Japan with cocaine packed into the tires. The shipment was intercepted in San Pedro, Ca. I even once read a reference to it somewhere, but could never find the original news report.

Finally, there are a couple of things to remember about Carson's relationship with DMC & JZD. Carson invested $500,000 dollars into the company and lost it all when JZD was arrested. Secondly though there was a scandal that arose claiming that JZD had stated that Carson might just be in on the deal. However I've never been able to find such a quote directly attributed to JZD. It is very possible that this may have been James Hoffman stating this, as he had originally claimed ties to Carson and could get HIM on charges. The DEA of course had Hoffman pursue DeLorean as since he was a former neighbor, a connection was much more believable.

Other than the "Rebate" comment, Carson did proclaim his innocence during a single monologue and never spoke of the affair again.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhsxo View Post
    I proudly display my "Dealer" poster in the garage next to my DeLorean but the only people that see that are my family and friends and they just laugh at it.
    I bought one of those on Ebay - but I haven't removed it from the shipping tube, yet. Was thinking of posting it on the wall at work, but I'm not sure how it will go over in a 'Politically Correct' workplace...

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    I bought one of those on Ebay - but I haven't removed it from the shipping tube, yet. Was thinking of posting it on the wall at work, but I'm not sure how it will go over in a 'Politically Correct' workplace...
    Don't know till you try. But these days, it's a pretty tame joke.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    3045

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    Yea, work may not be the best spot. Might make people think that you deal in coke. Sounds stupid, but the majority of people are (refer to Stupid DeLorean Comment thread).

My cousin had the same poster hanging in his room all through the 80's and early 90's. He always tells me that it brings up a lot of memories.
    Does it have a flux capacitor?
    Does it run on 1.21 Giggawatts?
    Have you been chased by terrorist?

No but I have been chased by ladies because it’s a chick magnet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2