FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay cleanup/restoration advice

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If you remove the engine lift rings, where do you clamp the negative cable when you jump-start the car?
    This was my first thought as well. I use that front lift ring when I hook up my battery charger after the car has been sitting in winter storage.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This was my first thought as well. I use that front lift ring when I hook up my battery charger after the car has been sitting in winter storage.
    Just use any metal part bolted to the engine block. I've never jumped my car so never thought about it. For battery charging I use the cig-lighter.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Just use any metal part bolted to the engine block. I've never jumped my car so never thought about it. For battery charging I use the cig-lighter.
    Surely the wiring for that socket wouldn't be rated for that much current?
    Chris

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Surely the wiring for that socket wouldn't be rated for that much current?
    My charger (lab bench power supply) I just current limit at 5 amps but it never needs that much anyway.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

A topic near and dear to me. I don't know why, but I also like to detail my engine bay.
    I'm late to this post, but you've gotten some great advice here already.

Check out my blog where I dedicated a posting to the same topic. It also has details of the engine harness re-route.
    "Cleaning up the engine bay over time"

It has been a work in progress over time, here is a more recent picture 2109's engine bay for ideas/reference.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

DAMN!!!
    Wait where are my sunglasses! I need to take a closer loo at that engine!!!

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/334145...dmc-12/page-4/

This is a writeup I did a few years back on the cold air intake. Lots of pics and explanation.

You can buy the spectre air duct at Autozone
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=422454_0_0_

The part number is 8741. It's the 4" black duct...you can get chrome or blue if you prefer also...I'd stick with the black

In this pic you can see a small chunk of the duct that I cut off sitting on the intake manifold. The length it comes in is slightly longer than you need. The rubber boot ends thread on and off so it's easy to cut to length.

Hey Mark,

I am doing this mod today. I noticed that you put a silver colored clamp of some kind around the new tubing where it meets up with the air box. Mine feels nice and snug, but I would prefer that it not come off in the future. What clamp did you use?
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    6125

Hey sorry for not answering sooner on the silver clamp, I've been out of town this past week.

I don't remember exactly where I got the clamp from that you're seeing in the photo but it's just a standard worm drive hose clamp that you should be able to find at your local hardware store. I clamped the flexible duct in place with the air box off the car so I could have the nice plain silver part facing upwards with the clamp screw rotated out of sight.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I have been busy working on the look of the engine bay. I have a lot of bolts that have surface rust on them. I have cleaned up a few of them using a wire wheel and they look brand new. My fear is that if I just reinstall them after this that they'll get rusty again. Is cleaning them up and then reinstalling them a good option, or should I take additional steps to ensure the look lasts?
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    I have been busy working on the look of the engine bay. I have a lot of bolts that have surface rust on them. I have cleaned up a few of them using a wire wheel and they look brand new. My fear is that if I just reinstall them after this that they'll get rusty again. Is cleaning them up and then reinstalling them a good option, or should I take additional steps to ensure the look lasts?
    You could cover the threads with tape and spray the heads with paint or clearcoat... or send them off to have them professionally zinc-plated before you reinstall them... or just buy new zinc-plated bolts... depends on how much time and money you want to spend on the project.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast