FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Car That Will Be Extinct In 10 Years

My VIN:    891, 1045

Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    GM X-cars (I haven't seen an Olds Omega in a decade).
    Chrysler Laser/Dodge Daytona
    Ford Capri (the original German car, not the Fox Mustang). These may already be near extinction.
    Ford Fairmont
    Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen
    Chrysler Laser/Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Turismo

I had a Turismo and loved it...especially since I only paid $100 for it.

I won't miss Cavaliers or Neons. Hopefully PT Cruisers will follow them since they're based on the neon.

The Chrysler Pacifica will likely be there as well as the Pontiac Aztek and Buick Rendezvous.

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable
    Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique
    90's & up Chevy Malibu
    Most Hyundai and Kia products up to the Genesis models.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Hopefully PT Cruisers will follow them since they're based on the neon.
    Later PTs had many positive revisions, including to the drivetrain. And the turbocharger is a nice feature on some models...

Back on topic, though: I saw a Dodge Colt Vista on the road not long ago. It was collecting some noticeable rust, even in this climate. I wonder how long it will last!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6585

There are a few factors that figure into what cars you still see on the road. Rust does figure into some parts of it, but just because the car is out of the rust belt doesn't mean that it's escaped ever having it. Some cars still aren't designed to handle drainage of water properly, and others can have their drain tubes and paths on the body panels clog up leading to standing water on the sheet metal underneath.

The biggest thing IMO though seems to be related to mechanics. For example, GM 3.8 V6 and Chrysler 2.5L I4 OHC engines like you would find in the old K-Cars have design problems that cause them to eat head gaskets. Granted Chrysler phased out the 2.5L some time ago, but even though GM keeps cranking out the 3800 series engine, you never really see them on the road past about 4-5 years because of this. Ford has numerous problems with their transmissions thanks to their stupid hydraulic clutch design that locks up and makes you eat synchros. But there are also too many newer versions of the Mustang that come out and compete with the old Fox bodies that people would opt for instead.

The other side to mechanics is accessibility to the engine to work on it. Mini vans are the first to go since you've got to crawl into the passenger compartment to get at things. F-Bodies are pains in the ass. Want to remove the engine? Yeah, you're gonna have to drop it out from UNDER the car... So rather than just lifting an engine out, you're lifting a car off of the engine. Chrylser V6 engines in passenger cars are a PAIN to get at the rear spark plugs. Problems like these end up being more than some people can do themselves, and cost more than they're willing to spend. Especially with our mentality that Cheap=Disposable.

For vehicles that are easy to work on, reliable, and cheap, I still see lots of full size pickup trucks on the road, and American SUVs. Older C-4 Corvettes around here too. Makes sense since they're plentiful V8s and the hood raises up to give you TOTAL access to everything.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    One of many reasons why I'll never own a minivan.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You don't buy a minivan for resale value/collector car/owner status. You buy it because you need it.
    Proof that on a long enough timeline, Dave is right about everything:

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Proof that on a long enough timeline, Dave is right about everything:
    Very impressive Long Game on your part.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

It only took 8 years and 3 kids later, but you were right.

We actually ordered it back in May, but due to chip shortages and COVID related plant shutdowns it was just delivered this week.

It's also the first new car I've ever bought.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Mark has woke up every morning since the conception of this thread preparing himself for this exact moment

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Mark has woke up every morning since the conception of this thread preparing himself for this exact moment
    Back when my wife and I were talking about having a third kid, I asked her if she knew that it meant we'd have to sell her car and get a vehicle that would fit three car seats...

When she mentioned getting a minivan my first thoughts were "Oh Shit! That thread on DMCTalk from 2013... how will I ever live this down?"

So I told her we couldn't possibly have another kid... Because if we had to buy a minivan, then I'll look stupid to all these guys on the internet. She won that argument.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-13-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3