FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Battery Light comes on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    3095

Club(s):   (DCF)

Battery Light comes on

Driving home last night my battery light came on. The dash lights got dim & the gauges went wonky- the amp gauge went to almost nothing, gas went to empty - then back to 3/4 ( which is where it should be ), The tach now stays at 1200, but will go up slightly if I give it gas. Today it rolls over very slow, but if I turn the key to the on position and hold for a sec, then in start mode the engine starts right up. When I give it gas the battery light comes on. I know I have read something about what is causing this - but I can't find it again. Anyone have an idea ?

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Your alternator may have just bit the dust. When your battery light comes on, it means the car is running off the battery and not the alternator. I had this exact thing happen to me several times.

Take it off (disconnect the battery first), then take it to advance and have it tested.

You should probably also test the battery while you are at it. If it's more than 3 years old, it's time to replace it.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    3095

Thanx Brandon, I have been cleaning connections " hoping" that it wasn't the alternator, but I keep coming back to it. The battery is Jan 2012 and seems to take a re-charge, but I will have both tested. You said yours went bad several times - Do Deloreans burn thru alternators ? This one looked new when I got the car in Jan. I remember seeing an invoice in the dash when I test drove the car for it and think it was dated last fall sometime.