FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New IR windshield

My VIN:    Former vin #4076

New IR windshield

I am about to replace my original windshield, and really consider to buy the new IR type. My question is whether the new windshield is more tinted then the original one. My other windows are tinted and a little darker so it would be nice if the IR windshield was a little darker to.

My VIN:    06960

It has no extra "darkness" to it than a standard windshield. In broad daylight it appears identical to a standard windshield. On an overcast day it has a slightly blue tint to the color.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The original windshield doesn't block UV and causes cracking on the dash, right? Whereas the IR one would prevent UV from entering the car and weathering the dash? I'm probably entirely wrong here, if so, can you explain what the difference is, please?

My VIN:    6125

Ah, ok, so it would create a source for a heat seeking missile to track. Better salvage some countermeasures from a Hind or C-130.

My VIN:    6125

Exactly. You may want to put the money you get from the sale of your mustang towards said countermeasures first, otherwise the heat seeking missiles may find your dash and binnacle before you can afford to upgrade to an IR blocking windshield on your DeLorean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Exactly. You may want to put the money you get from the sale of your mustang towards said countermeasures first, otherwise the heat seeking missiles may find your dash and binnacle before you can afford to upgrade to an IR blocking windshield on your DeLorean.
    I'm an expert in evasive manoeuvrings, so I shouldn't have any issues. I'm a professional, so don't try those manoeuvres unless properly trained by a qualified instructor. Get the countermeasures before the training, I implore you!

My VIN:    10084

Another consideration with the IR windshield is that if you're using any IR devices, like a garage door opener, it won't work through the windshield. An alternative, which is what I'm planning on doing, is going with the non-IR windshield and having the lightest shade of 3M's Crystalline installed on the windshield to afford UV protection.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

UV windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    The original windshield doesn't block UV and causes cracking on the dash, right? Whereas the IR one would prevent UV from entering the car .....
    The original windshield blocks >99% of the UV, same as all laminated windshields. The UV blocking is done by the interlayer between the inner and outer glass layers in the windshield. The IR windshield blocks no more UV than that.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    Another consideration with the IR windshield is that if you're using any IR devices, like a garage door opener, it won't work through the windshield. An alternative, which is what I'm planning on doing, is going with the non-IR windshield and having the lightest shade of 3M's Crystalline installed on the windshield to afford UV protection.
    Well, I dont think your going to find any IR based garage door openers these days. The method used to block IR is an extremely fine metallic dust impregnated into the lamination layer. This is effective at blocking IR, but it also behaves as a solid wall for RF signals. It will effectively block the RF signal from a toll transponder and radar detector, but I find that my garage door opener still works fine.

James has said that the new "standard" windshields block UV, and the IR windshields block both UV and IR. I do not believe that the original windshields blocked any UV though.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast