FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Best speaker options.. Quality and fit

My VIN:    4870

Best speaker options.. Quality and fit

Hey guys,

Im getting ready to do a little upgrade on my radio and speakers but Im not too sure what is the best fit. I dont want to go crazy, just looking for the best fit to replace the stock speakers. I know the front are 3.5's and rears are 4x10's but what type of speakers will line up with the mounting brackets? Any thoughts on speakers you may have installed? Any thoughts on quality sound speakers? Thanks

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Hey guys,

Im getting ready to do a little upgrade on my radio and speakers but Im not too sure what is the best fit. I dont want to go crazy, just looking for the best fit to replace the stock speakers. I know the front are 3.5's and rears are 4x10's but what type of speakers will line up with the mounting brackets? Any thoughts on speakers you may have installed? Any thoughts on quality sound speakers? Thanks
    For starters, check these 2 threads. This has been discussed in depth.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?57...hlight=speaker

Jeff

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    For starters, check these 2 threads. This has been discussed in depth.

Perfect! Thanks

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Like Jeff mentioned, check out those two threads.

A short answer for you: I put infinity kappa 3.5" in the front and 5.25" in the rear with DMC CA's 8" sub with everything powered with a JL 5-channel amp and I think 95% of people would be very happy with that setup. I wanted to keep a stock look and I think that's the best you can do. Other options would be to add speakers to the rear bulkhead or in the footwells. No mods are necessary with the 3.5/5.25 setup.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Because manufacturers are always changing models it is impossible to recommend any specific speaker. For the fronts you must be careful about protrusion (the inner tweeter projecting too far). Best to try to stick with the original sizes, easier to fit. Call Crutchfield for the latest information about speaker availability. Crutchfield.com If upgrading the speakers you may also be thinking about the radio and the wiring to the speakers. As for the old ones, forget them, the cones are garbage after all these years. They were cheap speakers when they were new and they did not age well!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16619

Rockford Fosgate has a 3.5" under their "PUNCH" Speaker line. I personally haven't gotten around to putting in new audio system in mine yet. But from what I've experianced with at work with Rockford Fosgate, they have exceptionally high quality Audio products. They borrowed a JX from us, and put in their sound system and it sounded 100x better then the Bose system. They also demoed some other neat stuff, but the speakers and Amp essentially replaced the bose sound system so it didn't look gaudy nor was it a bunch of extra speakers.

So just personally, I would recommend anything from Rockford Fosgate.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Take the time and run all new speaker wire if you haven't planned on it. The haphazard way they did it in the factory was really surprising to me!

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

I'm looking for those Infinity Kappa 3.5" 32.9cf but a lot of sites say "sold out" or "discontinued"