FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Troubleshooting Ignition Control Module ???

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Electrical parts are the parts many places won't take back if installed. Too easy to ruin them if there is some other electrical failure.
    I thought so. I got stuck with a lamp control module for a BMW when it turned out to be a different problem.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

How do your bulkhead connectors look? I know I've said it many times on this forum and it may not be your problem but it doesn't hurt to check. Those connectors are garbage and gave me nothing but problems until I cut them off and replaced them with a weatherpack. They're especially worse if you've run without a coil cover. Check to see if you have corrosion, I used to have to take a dremel with a small bit to clean the corrosion off the female ends and bend them in a little to make a solid connection. These connectors caused me to have all sorts of issues with the engine as well as the tail lights.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    How do your bulkhead connectors look? I know I've said it many times on this forum and it may not be your problem but it doesn't hurt to check. Those connectors are garbage and gave me nothing but problems until I cut them off and replaced them with a weatherpack. They're especially worse if you've run without a coil cover. Check to see if you have corrosion, I used to have to take a dremel with a small bit to clean the corrosion off the female ends and bend them in a little to make a solid connection. These connectors caused me to have all sorts of issues with the engine as well as the tail lights.
    Those connectors are garbage and a PITA! I just finished fixing the yellow one, pushed in terminals were the reason the cooling fans were not turning on with the otterstat. Besides those everything else seems to be working.

The connector between the distributor and ignition ECU is intact and corrosion free.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

10287 has awaken from its coma!

I dug through my spare parts stash and found the extra ballast resistor the PO included. Out of curiosity/desperation I put it in and now we are running!

How the hell often do ballast resistor fail???
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

They are very brittle and can crack but the common failure mode is just bad connections. The connections are steel and they rust.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I found the ballast resistor tabs to be stainless steel (I could not solder the wires to them). The heating puts a lot of stress on the wire connectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    They are very brittle and can crack but the common failure mode is just bad connections. The connections are steel and they rust.
    Before I tried replacing the resistor itself I cut off the old, original connectors but it didn't fix the problem. More than anything the only reason I swapped the resistor was because I remembered I had an extra sitting around. I didn't expect it to change anything but it seemed more productive than cursing and being pissy. The two resistors look identical and feel the same in my hand, can't figure out what the deal is with the first one. Couldn't have been more surprised when the car started.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2