FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Rolls Royce observations

My VIN:    16867

Fine Graining

Louie - you are right on target - the finer grain looks great on a DeLorean. Don't believe me? - ask the Stainless expert, Chris Nicholson. He has regrained a couple of cars using 180 grit rather than the 80 grit used on the stock DeLoreans. My car is one of those. It is a "tad" shiner, but it keeps its' clean look longer than the original finish. I love it.

No, it does not look like a refrigerator.

Dick Ryan
    Vin 16867.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Dad View Post
    Louie - you are right on target - the finer grain looks great on a DeLorean. Don't believe me? - ask the Stainless expert, Chris Nicholson. He has regrained a couple of cars using 180 grit rather than the 80 grit used on the stock DeLoreans. My car is one of those. It is a "tad" shiner, but it keeps its' clean look longer than the original finish. I love it.

No, it does not look like a refrigerator.

Dick Ryan
    Vin 16867.
    Interesting. I'd love to see pictures!
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I once read that because of their high engineering and build quality, as well as the way they are cared for, over 75% of Rolls Royces ever produced are still on the road.
    And if you think about it, let's say 6,500 DeLoreans of the 9,200 built are still on the road. That's about 71% of DeLoreans ever produced are still on the road.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    And if you think about it, let's say 6,500 DeLoreans of the 9,200 built are still on the road. That's about 71% of DeLoreans ever produced are still on the road.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that only about 1500 of the 6000-6500 believed to still exist are actually registered and can be assumed as "on the road".
    Jeff

My VIN:    05141

That is right, no other brand in the world still has that % of cars still on the roads after 30 years!

About the SS hood on the Rolls Royce,
    A friend of mine works as an engineer at a steelplant in Belgium where stainless steel is made. This is done in large quantity for trailers for trucks where the cylinders are made to hold liquids. They have to be flawless becasue they have a mirror shine on it.
    He explained to me how this is done, but he also said that they supply the SS to Rolls Royce for the hoods. And he told me that when Rolls Royce did the study / engineering, they aquired a DeLorean to investigate this.

I should ask him more on this...

Jan

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    That is right, no other brand in the world still has that % of cars still on the roads after 30 years!

A friend of mine works as an engineer at a steelplant in Belgium where stainless steel is made. This is done in large quantity for trailers for trucks where the cylinders are made to hold liquids. They have to be flawless becasue they have a mirror shine on it.
    He explained to me how this is done, but he also said that they supply the SS to Rolls Royce for the hoods. And he told me that when Rolls Royce did the study / engineering, they aquired a DeLorean to investigate this.

Jan
    That is cool! I'd also like to know a little more about that!
    1-800-273-8255

And he told me that when Rolls Royce did the study / engineering, they aquired a DeLorean to investigate this.

Jan
    Now that I would like to hear more about.

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    Now that I would like to hear more about.
    Jinx. You owe me a pop!!

A few years back I was at DMCFL for the unveiling of Ken B's Stage II DeLorean, and I noticed his grain seemed to be significantly finer than mine. I wonder if this was also Chris's handy work.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 07-01-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    1-800-273-8255

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Jinx. You owe me a pop!!
    hahaha

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Nonsense. A 300 looks much more like a Bentley than a RR.

Back in 2003 a neighbor of mine was car-sitting a 1981 RR Shadow and he let me drive it a couple of times. “Wafty” comes to mind. Very soft-suspensioned, reminded me of old Buicks. Huge steering wheel for the chauffeur of course.

Jan
    I think this is partially true. There is a very nice D owner that has worked at RR in some capacity (consultant of some sort perhaps - he is very knowledgeable on vintage RR's) Most recently he worked with them on the engineering for the Rolls Royce Wraith, and through all of this he was able to gain a tour of the Goodwood facility for the UK DeLorean club

Here's a short video that someone posted (thanks Brian). It was in June, hence the trousers and sweaters

First 3 mins is of the club parking and talking, and then the "shuttle buses" arrive at 3:10 to take them for a test drive
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast