FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Accumulator

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Fuel Accumulator

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to tackle a fuel accumulator change for the first time ever during my tenure of ownership (I've been living with a minor hot start issue for the last 10 years) and had a few questions that I'm hoping you could help answer.

First off, I noticed that most of the vendors are currently selling a much smaller unit than what originally came with the car. Unhappy with this, I ordered the accumulator from Summit Racing, Bosch 0438170029, for $114.97 and a free shipping promotion. Others can find the same here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-0438170029

Am I right in that this part is the OEM style / full size accumulator, as opposed to the shorty that most of the vendors are currently selling?

Also, I noticed that the vendors sell their accumulators in a kit form, together with an accumulator sock/mounting pad, hoses, and hose clamps. Do I really need to change the hoses when changing the accumulator, or can I reuse what's already there?

Any tips or advice you can offer, I'd greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to tackle a fuel accumulator change for the first time ever during my tenure of ownership (I've been living with a minor hot start issue for the last 10 years) and had a few questions that I'm hoping you could help answer.

First off, I noticed that most of the vendors are currently selling a much smaller unit than what originally came with the car. Unhappy with this, I ordered the accumulator from Summit Racing, Bosch 0438170029, for $114.97 and a free shipping promotion. Others can find the same here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-0438170029

Am I right in that this part is the OEM style / full size accumulator, as opposed to the shorty that most of the vendors are currently selling?

Also, I noticed that the vendors sell their accumulators in a kit form, together with an accumulator sock/mounting pad, hoses, and hose clamps. Do I really need to change the hoses when changing the accumulator, or can I reuse what's already there?

Any tips or advice you can offer, I'd greatly appreciate!

Thanks!
    This is where we get ours from. As posted on other threads here regarding this we are the last vendor to be using the full size option at this time.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    This is where we get ours from. As posted on other threads here regarding this we are the last vendor to be using the full size option at this time.
    Josh - Do you resell this part at all, or is it only offered for work performed in shop, as I know that you've also previously expressed concern about not becoming a mere volume parts slinger?

You really need a website that displays all of your parts offerings

Lol how did I word the parts slinger thing? I'm about quality over quantity here and that is probably what I was hinting towards. I like to avoid slinging Chinese and or untested crap.

I will look and see if I have any in stock first thing tomorrow. If not summit only takes a day normally for a tech accounts.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All you really need is the accumulator. If you don't damage things you can reuse it all (except the accumulator of course!) unless soemthing is missing or so rusted it can't be reused. If the short rubber hose is badly cracked you may want to replace it. Whatever you do DO NOT damage, kink, bend, or otherwise mess up the hard lines. Use two wrenches and "hold back" so you don't twist or kink those lines. If the accumulator is bad you may want to replace the fuel filter soon. All of the chunks of the rubber diaphragm are stuck inside. Drive the car a little to make sure they are all caught in there and you have no fuel leaks.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

Lol how did I word the parts slinger thing? I'm about quality over quantity here and that is probably what I was hinting towards. I like to avoid slinging Chinese and or untested crap.
    Took me a while to find this, but I was determined so as to convince myself that I'm not going crazy and starting to make stuff up:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?55...9887#post79887

But slinging parts is a PITA with very small margins these days and I'm more concerned with my staff restoring cars so it will be interesting to see where things go. *** Even we are guilty of it at DPI. Windshields, doors, anything engine related minus an exhaust system, clutches and flywheels, brakes and our new frames are in house only.
    Thus, I didn't even think of inquiring with you when it came time to order an accumulator and other parts for my car's wake-up from winter hibernation, as I didn't think that you were interested in 'the volume slinging of parts,' as it's a "PITA with very small margins these days."

I will look and see if I have any in stock first thing tomorrow. If not summit only takes a day normally for a tech accounts.
    I already ordered through and paid Summit Racing, so unless I can somehow cancel the order and get my money back, I'm afraid it might be a little too late. But if it is possible, I would be interested in ordering from you instead, as 1) it's supporting a DeLorean vendor, and 2) it sounds like you can get me the part much faster than Summit, who gave me an estimated ship date of July 8th due to it's 'special order' status.

If you're interested in filling common/replacement/wear item parts orders, I'll start checking with you first. The only reason I didn't this time is because I honestly didn't think you were interested based on your past assertions on the forum. Sorry.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 06-29-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    All you really need is the accumulator. If you don't damage things you can reuse it all (except the accumulator of course!) unless soemthing is missing or so rusted it can't be reused. If the short rubber hose is badly cracked you may want to replace it. Whatever you do DO NOT damage, kink, bend, or otherwise mess up the hard lines. Use two wrenches and "hold back" so you don't twist or kink those lines. If the accumulator is bad you may want to replace the fuel filter soon. All of the chunks of the rubber diaphragm are stuck inside. Drive the car a little to make sure they are all caught in there and you have no fuel leaks.
    David Teitelbaum
    Thanks for the response and confirming what I thought. As all PO's and myself have taken great care in properly storing the car when not in use, all the original hoses are still in like new shape, surprisingly enough. And it's absolutely spotless in the accumulator cubby.

I just worked with some pretty fragile and heavily rusted hard lines when I flushed and changed the filter on my fuel oil tank, and so far all is good with no leaks, so I must be pretty good at it.

Fuel filter is being changed as well. I change that annually no matter what as it's a pretty quick and easy job and a low cost replacement part.

No leaks yet, so hopefully my good luck in that regard will continue

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Took me a while to find this, but I was determined so as to convince myself that I'm not going crazy and starting to make stuff up:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?55...9887#post79887

Thus, I didn't even think of inquiring with you when it came time to order an accumulator and other parts for my car's wake-up from winter hibernation, as I didn't think that you were interested in 'the volume slinging of parts,' as it's a "PITA with very small margins these days."

I already ordered through and paid Summit Racing, so unless I can somehow cancel the order and get my money back, I'm afraid it might be a little too late. But if it is possible, I would be interested in ordering from you instead, as 1) it's supporting a DeLorean vendor, and 2) it sounds like you can get me the part much faster than Summit, who gave me an estimated ship date of July 8th due to it's 'special order' status.

If you're interested in filling common/replacement/wear item parts orders, I'll start checking with you first. The only reason I didn't this time is because I honestly didn't think you were interested based on your past assertions on the forum. Sorry.

It's just impossible to stay competitive with quality products. This happened again with axle boots. Othe vendors cheaped out and started selling cheap repops due to a price increase from the original supplier. To keep the price reasonable we are required to take a loss while still offering the superior product at the compatible price.

That is my pita reasoning with a specific example. Thanks for finding that btw!

My VIN:    03572

It would be interesting to compare the volume of those small accumulators with the OEM size. My guess would be less volume and therefore less time it holds rest pressure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It would be interesting to compare the volume of those small accumulators with the OEM size. My guess would be less volume and therefore less time it holds rest pressure.
    It may also be the case the pressure it holds is different too. It is unnecessary to replace the fuel filter every year. It seems to be large enough that there have been few reported instances where it was a problem. The most common problem besides the difficulty because the connections are so tight, sometimes you get leaks and if you don't do it right you somehow seem to plug up a connection and reduce the flow. Definitely at every tune-up or every 10 years.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast