FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How do you take out the headliner.

My VIN:    4870

How do you take out the headliner.

Anyone have a good how-to on taking out the front and back headliner. The book says something about cutting the headliner but is there any pics or a more detailed step be step. Im getting ready to bolt down the roof box and this is the only thing holding me back. O btw is there a good step by step or references on the best way to bolt down the roof cage also. Thanks all.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    The door headliners use fir-trees. The body headliners dont. The forward body headliner needs the sun visors removed, then pull back the fabric from under the weather seals. Slide the whole thing forward to detach it from a retention strip. For the rear segment, remove the two screws at the top back above the seatbelts. Then again, pull back the fabric from under the weather seals and slide the thing forward to detach it.

When attaching new material, be sure to note which areas need extra fabric left hanging for wrapping under the weather seals. Then be sure to give yourself enough. Finally, when finally attaching them under the weatherseals, cut them off just after the fold-over so no material goes down into the water channel. Otherwise you'll have just wicked yourself a new water leak.
    Just a few months ago I wrote this out in another thread. Shoul pretty much sum up what you need.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    4519

When I took mine out tonight, the sun visors stayed attached to the front headliner.

The retainers [that the sun visors screw into] are supposed to be attached to the roof, right?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 05-06-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    When I took mine out tonight, the sun visors stayed attached to the front headliner.

The retainers [that the sun visors screw into] are supposed to be attached to the roof, right?
    Yea, same thing happened to me. I tried to use super glue to stick it back up and it did nothing, as soon as you put pressure on it it pops right off. The only thing that worked for me was epoxy resin strong shit.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

head liner

I just did my head liner today. There is a nice guide on the how to part of the forum or go to google and you will find a nice write up on this job. just type in Delorean head liner replacement and look at all the posts and you will find the article. If not pm me and i can give you another way to get this info. andy B

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Yea, same thing happened to me. I tried to use super glue to stick it back up and it did nothing, as soon as you put pressure on it it pops right off. The only thing that worked for me was epoxy resin strong shit.
    The metal nut plates are supposed to be riveted to the fiberglass, not attached to the headliners in any way.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The metal nut plates are supposed to be riveted to the fiberglass, not attached to the headliners in any way.
    Yeah stick the brackets to the body not to the sunvisors - what dave said - always what Dave says
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

Sun visor

DPI sells a sun visor repair kit that includes 4 stainless plates and 4 screws stainless and comes with the rivets to secure the plates to the body. Most of our cars after 30 years have rusted screws and inner plate which makes the sun visors a pia to remove. If you need to fix the visor attachment just remove the visors( good luck) the light pull down the head liner and you will see the visor plates . Drill out the old rivets and rivet the new plates on. Be real careful since you are working close to the windshield. Easy fix and much better than glueing the visors on.