FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: burning up thrmo time switches

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

burning up thrmo time switches

The car wouldnt start, switched the plugs and it will start and run fine. narrowed it down to the TTS. replaced the TTS with a nos one. car started up just fine after it was replace. the next time tried to start same problem. why would the TTS be getting burned up? starter sometimes sticks and does not spin, could this be sending too many amps to the TTS and burning them up?? or just coincidence and try to replace it again?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikercmbc View Post
    The car wouldnt start, switched the plugs and it will start and run fine. narrowed it down to the TTS. replaced the TTS with a nos one. car started up just fine after it was replace. the next time tried to start same problem. why would the TTS be getting burned up? starter sometimes sticks and does not spin, could this be sending too many amps to the TTS and burning them up?? or just coincidence and try to replace it again?
    That will happen if it is hooked up backwards. Which should not be possible due to the indexing on the plug, but if someone reversed the wiring (even at the factory) it will burn out the heater.

It can't sent amps, only volts, and 12 volts will not burn out the heater. 12 volts across the switch part of the thermotime switch will burn it out.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

ok, it shouldn't have been hooked up backwards. I have two more NOS TTS so I guess I will replace it again and see what happens.

Thanks Dave

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Dave,

The Lambda switch, also on the Y-pipe with the spade connector... how often do those fail?

My Lambda system/FV kept operating at around 50% no matter what, which led me to believe my O2 sensor and/or lambda switch was toast. I've gone ahead and replaced both but still have to finish putting the intake back together for testing and adjustment, but I was just curious.

I'm going to reset the baseline for the injectors with the bottles, then go for mixture from there.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5180

ok, it shouldn't have been hooked up backwards. I have two more NOS TTS so I guess I will replace it again and see what happens.

Thanks Dave
    Gee, are you hoarding NOS TTS's? Can never have too many I guess.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Bought out an old dealerships stock of nos parts. Had three of them in the inventory.

My VIN:    5180

Bought out an old dealerships stock of nos parts. Had three of them in the inventory.
    Cool, Did you get a left front fender or grooved trunk lid in the deal or any other N/A parts in the acquisition. Out of curiosity who was the Old Dealer?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thanks Dave
    I'd check for shorts. They are getting too scarce/expensive to blow up as a test.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Dave,

The Lambda switch, also on the Y-pipe with the spade connector... how often do those fail?

My Lambda system/FV kept operating at around 50% no matter what, which led me to believe my O2 sensor and/or lambda switch was toast..
    Never seen one fail. For what you are seeing it would have to fail closed. Easy to test, just disconnect it and see if that solves your problem.

OR measure it with an ohm meter. It is a switch. Should be open all the time unless you put it in your freezer for a while.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Kyle was kind enough to post this for me as he's been helping me get 10989 back on the road. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work all day today.

I switched the ThermoTime switch out and it fired right up. Let it run for a few minutes then shut it down. Tried it again and it fired right up.
    Let it sit for 2 hours and it went back to it's old ways of turning over but not starting. Seems like it's not getting gas (the car has the new fuel/pump combination kit and a new accumulator kit) The car also has the nology stage 1 set up and Kyle just replaced the plugs with new ones from DMCMW

Tried it again on Wednesday and it would turn over but not start. I poured a little gas in the intake and it fired right up.

If you switch out the plugs on the cold start valve it will also fire right up.

Dave could a bad starter have anything to do with it shorting out? It works most of the time but sometimes it just clicks and doesn't turn over. I have an original starter in good condition that (with Kyle's help) can switch out and probably will.

Any suggestions of where to begin testing for shorts? Any other ideas?
    Kirk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast