FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How To: Recovering Headliners 60+ photos

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    One other problem is that I got a little bit of 3M glue over spray on the good side. Any suggestions on getting it off without damaging the material? Thanks, Rod.
    Hi Rod.
    Whilst recovering mine (outdoors) , the wind picked up and the fabric folded over when I was spraying the glue ... on the corner by the sun visor.
    I let it dry overnight - I also purposely sprayed some glue on an off cut so that I could experiment.

I used a small piece of 3m scotch pad to roughen the fabric, I also used a small brass bristle brush that I used to use on suede shoes (not of the blue variety!)... I picked off bits n pieces of the glue with tweezers.

i used cigarette lighter fluid (naptha) on some cotton buds changing them frequently. I was quite vigorous. Dont touch the area straight after as it feels tacky, again, let it dry back - as you can see I had good results!

glue residue.jpg
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

thanks for this thread Clint! helped a lot. Im just finishing up mine now.

Mark

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here is a trick I learned from Ken K. In fact we did this on my door headliners on his kitchen table in Cincinnati. When finished, put garbage bag or plastic material over the panel, and then add sand from the hardware store into the valley until it is filled to the brim and let it sit overnight. This gave an even pressure all the way around and I never had any bubbles.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I need to recover my door headliners but have an issue with the fur tree holes. Has anyone ever had to repair the fir tree holes in the door headliners when recovering? Mine are worn out (holes too weak and/or too big) and the fir trees won't stay in the headliner. I am wondering if the using resin to build up the area around the hole will work?

Option 2:
    I thought about using some kind of thin but rigid material to make new fur tree holes and adhere that to the headliner.

Option 3:
    Get some used headliners with better holes than mine and recover.

Any other ideas out there for repairing the holes?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    10855

I just used some fibreglass sheet and resin. With just a few layers it was strong enough and when sanded down was flush to the backing board.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acmetowers View Post
    I just used some fibreglass sheet and resin. With just a few layers it was strong enough and when sanded down was flush to the backing board.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Got any photos showing the process? I just noticed my passenger headliner fir trees broke off and the holes are just too big to do anything with.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    I need to recover my door headliners but have an issue with the fur tree holes. Has anyone ever had to repair the fir tree holes in the door headliners when recovering? Mine are worn out (holes too weak and/or too big) and the fir trees won't stay in the headliner. I am wondering if the using resin to build up the area around the hole will work?

Option 2:
    I thought about using some kind of thin but rigid material to make new fur tree holes and adhere that to the headliner.

Any other ideas out there for repairing the holes?
    Maybe small machined alum or SS plates drilled with holes and glued to existing headliner?
    Maybe the Chris Miles magnet door panel attachment program be applied to the headliners?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4